How to limit access to machinery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to limit access to machinery

One of the things I want to do at this new machine is limit access to certain machinery. Mostly just to make sure people have taken the safety course for the equipment they want to use and secondly we will have some machines that will be considered advanced and have special access. Basically I want to cut power to these pieces until authorized to power on.

I would like to do this with something like a smart card or RFID system. We are going to have that type of system installed for access to the shop. Maybe use additional door readers to activate power to a machine? Use a current sensor that will shut off power to a machine a few minutes after shutoff?

I know at places like home depot they have keypad locks on the panel saws and the like so customers cant turn them on. If all else fails I could do something like this.

Any ideas?

Have a look at card door lock systems used by hotels. I wouldn't consider RFID, too much RF interference from the machines. Whatever system is used it shouldn't require the keying device to be left in something by the user or it will be forgotten on a regular basis. Instead, it should be a swipe or insert/remove system with a time out if the machine isn't turned on for a set time period, say 5 minutes. I don't think a smart card system would be suitable as it relies on electrical contacts on the card and will be contaminated in short order by oil etc. A magnetic swipe system is probably best with a pin assigned to each user. Swipe readers are cheap as dirt now and widely available with many options.
    Last edited by Evan; 08-21-2008, 06:36 AM.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

By code each machine should have a fuse box with the ability to be locked. Lock the fuse box in the off position with a keyed lock.

Comment

Most of the machinery I am concerned with wont even have electronics, not to mention interfere at the 13.56mhz that the newer RFID stuff works at.

I looked at the hotel stuff but nothing I could find was separate from the latch assembly.

Locked fuse box is not an option. I dont want to babysit people. And I dont want to give out tons of keys. Only hardwired machines have a disconnect anyway.

Comment

Hi

Originally posted by macona
          One of the things I want to do at this new machine is limit access to certain machinery. Mostly just to make sure people have taken the safety course for the equipment they want to use and secondly we will have some machines that will be considered advanced and have special access. Basically I want to cut power to these pieces until authorized to power on.

I would like to do this with something like a smart card or RFID system. We are going to have that type of system installed for access to the shop. Maybe use additional door readers to activate power to a machine? Use a current sensor that will shut off power to a machine a few minutes after shutoff?

I know at places like home depot they have keypad locks on the panel saws and the like so customers cant turn them on. If all else fails I could do something like this.

Any ideas?
          I can supply you with exactly what you need. A software and hardware package designed to allow or limit acces to machinery based on the users qualifications.

The system uses RFID and will also accrue charges on time used per machine. This is the system is designed for the control of and charges for the use of equipment.

The system will NOT allow the power to be applied to the machine if the holder of that card does not have permission to use that machine.

The card can also log the user in and out of the workshop and keep track of those times. The system can also allow/disallow access to appropraite areas i.e. different areas of a workshop.

Let me know if you are interested and perhaps more details of what your needs are.

My software developer is on holiday at the moment and will be back in 4 weeks so some details may my need to be evaluated when he returns.

The system is running in a workshop locally here in Western Australia. It was developed specifically for this workshop. The workshop offers the chargeable use of the equipment to suitably qualified personnel and to home users.

This means that commercial users can have access to large machinery without the need to purchase such equipment and pay on a time of use basis. Home users are limited to the equipment with which they are familiar.

For home users that need access to unfamiliar equipment, there is a trained person available and his time is charged out based on the useage time of the equipment.

I actually had a need to use some of this equipment when renovating a property. I can advise that the system works very well.

HTH
          Kind regards

Peter

Comment

Most of the machinery I am concerned with wont even have electronics, not to mention interfere at the 13.56mhz that the newer RFID stuff works at.
            I was thinking about VFDs. They can broadcast a very strong signal over a wide range of frequencies. Perhaps Peter can address this question.

Comment

At work all of the labs have badge access. RFID to get in the door. Access to the so called "model shop" with the mill, lathe, shear, drill press etc, used to be a problem as the previous folks in charge pretty much approved anyone that asked. The shop was always a mess. There was even evidence of someone using a polishing wheel and rouge on the Jet 13x40 lathe. Even worse since there is a Baldor buffer in the same room. Now, since the move to another building the problem is greatly decreased simply by starting from scratch with the access list. Also the person granting access doesn't approve without a valid reason.

Limiting access to individual machines by badge reader or other methods was discussed but never implemented (probably due to cost - I wasn't involved in those investigations). So far this is working for us. Sounds like Macona's situation is a bit different though and simple door control isn't enough.
              Bill

Comment

I was at Home Depot recently, their key cutting machine was on an access control system for power. I don't know the brand, but, maybe somebody is going to HD and could get the brand name and post it.

Comment

The system Peter is talking about is exactly what I am looking for.

I dont think I will have any VFDs for the time being. I have 480 3 phase coming in at 1600 amps. I think that will be enough.

Time to start building that particle accelerator!

Comment

I would second this method, It's dirt simple.

Originally posted by Rustybolt
                    By code each machine should have a fuse box with the ability to be locked. Lock the fuse box in the off position with a keyed lock.
                    -Dan S.
                    dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Who unlocks it? How do you keep track of keys and who is using them?

Comment

I know that this won't work in todays world with todays people but back when I started working for a living if I was told not to run something and then did anyway I was fired. Try that. Still runs on version 1.0 software in my world.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxxLagg
                          I know that this won't work in todays world with todays people but back when I started working for a living if I was told not to run something and then did anyway I was fired.
                          My thoughts exactly. Put the responsibility on the user.

I realize TechShop has a unique safety problem. And a responsibility to provide a safe environment.
                          But RFID is not going to work on plug in tools, (that must be a tool crib). It doesn't work with manual tools like a hydraulic H press, floor jacks, jump shears and brakes.

Without assigning a monitor to each individual, it's near impossible to control conduct. AND, if the individual is fully qualified, and makes a stupid mistreak, the result is the same, damage to the machine, part or people.

I wish good luck to TechShop.
                          Bad luck to Lawyers.

Dave J.

Comment

I found the product like I was talking about

http://www.ieib.com/product-details.html?id=97

They have 110 and 220v products.

With 99 user codes you can give a customer a number, 23456 based on their training, that will be valid on 2 machines, That number won't work on the rest of the machines.

Comment

More hazards.

Why not move it to San Quentin or Alcatraz (or similar)?. Those "institutions" manage to control their work-shops.

But seriously, even if it all works by "card access", and the person with the card wears it on a cord/lanyard around their neck/s like any other similar ID/access card - as so many do - that will be a potential major hazard in itself in any work-shop.

Comment

Working...
                              X