OT:Ebay changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT:Ebay changes

This AM a message by Ebay states changes in policy include refusal to allow checks and M.O's as payment except for certain capital expenditures.While I admit paypal works fairly well usually this would seem to be a revenue generating mechanism pretty much.I know you can pay by credit card but after the SWHMBO had her credit card ripped off for ten grand.(An out of the country use of ATM machine usage even though we never use ATM machines and have no ATM accounts.)Rightly or wrongly I like the cashier check for most Ebay purchases.But then no revenue is gained by Ebay-Any decent alternatives to EBAY?

Ain't that a treat though? It is yet another "improvement" for eBay users that has absolutely no benefit to either buyer or seller, just eBay and PayPal.

Probably 20% of my customers pay by check or MO. I have never had a problem in over eight years with either. Many of my customers are businesses, and pay by check as a means of accounting and control. It will add a layer of difficulty to these transactions and probably result in the loss of many of these purchasers.

Unfortunately, at this time, there is still no good alternative to eBay. There are other venues, but none has the exposure of eBay.
    Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum
      just eBay and PayPal.
      Just eBay.
      eBay bought paypal back in 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by Sophiedoc
        This AM a message by Ebay states changes in policy include refusal to allow checks and M.O's as payment except for certain capital expenditures.
        I can understand the money orders -- that's the subject of a lot of fraud schemes, but the checks suck. I don't like to pay by check because there's no recourse if the seller screws me, but sometimes the seller insists (to avoid the Paypal fee).

Ebay is a strange place these days...
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by M_C
          Just eBay.
          eBay bought paypal back in 2002.
          I am well aware of that. It is just that eBay & PayPal are double dipping by forcing exclusivity of PayPal.
          Jim H.

Comment

Ebay Motors and most if not all of Business and Industrial are excluded from the new payment requirements.

I haven't had a check sent to me for a long time now. Most people like paying with paypal. All in all, it does beat waiting for my money, even if the fees are too high.

This is sort of a non-issue in my view:

The high volume sellers of new stuff probably welcome this.

The low volume hobby sellers have the time to answer specific questions about their items including:

Will you take a check?

The way it's set up they still allow checks and MO's for local pickup items.

Easy ways around all of this...

-James

Comment

Too many horror stories for me to use Paypal.

When they stop allowing me to receive payment in USPS MO's, then that will end my use of Ebay.

Comment

Havwen't used E-bay in over a year.

Haven't use E-Bay since they couldn't get my account information right so I could have my limit raised. I never could figure out why they needed access to my account - and every time anyone has had any access to my account i got screwed. So as long as e-bay and paypal play their stupid games I will not use e-bay. I have good credit and I pay my bills on time. Why should they need to have more information about me than any other retailer I might do business with. Other than maybe they want ot make sure they can get my money even if i don't get the goods? I can find ways to get what I want without taking chances without having to play their games.

Comment

Aaw come boys, Its not so ebay can make even more money from sellers, its to make it safer!!!
                  For those sellers who are not aware of this.
                  If you sell something and take payment via paypal, make sure you only send the goods using a mail/freight system that allows tracking of the goods, and insist on getting proof of delivery.
                  Why, well apparently, if you just send by regular mail for example, if the buyer is less than honest, after they get the goods, they can tell paypal that they didn't receive them, then paypal can freeze your account and take any money in that account.(not just to the value of the goods in dispute but all the money in the account)
                  You then have to proof that you sent the goods to get try and get the money back and get your account unfrozen. According to some of the stories I've read that can be extremely difficult.

But thats ok because it's now "safer"

bollie7

Comment

Originally posted by bollie7
                    Aaw come boys, Its not so ebay can make even more money from sellers, its to make it safer!!!
                    That sort of reeks of " It's for the children " :-(
                    ...lew...

Comment

Lew
                      Ebay here in Aus tried to implement the "paypal only" system here back in, I think, July this year. Caused a bit of an uproar and made most of the "current affairs" programs. Most of Ebays responses were along the lines of "Its not so ebay can make even more money from sellers, its to make it safer" hence my use of that line.
                      It actually got to the ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission) and I think its still being investigated. Meanwhile a seller can still accept payment by direct deposit, cheque etc but must also accept paypal.

regards

bollie7

Comment

sounds like Comm-E-bay strikes again.

Ya gotta love big business and bigger Egos.

Comment

Craigslist. I like craigslist. You can use craigshelper.com to search multiple cities and states at once. I personally feel much more comfortable doing buisness that way instead of the whole bidding on items. You never know if your going to win the bid. You could drive 4 hours to inspect a piece of machinery and then get outbid!

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack
                            Craigslist. I like craigslist. You can use craigshelper.com to search multiple cities and states at once. I personally feel much more comfortable doing buisness that way instead of the whole bidding on items. You never know if your going to win the bid. You could drive 4 hours to inspect a piece of machinery and then get outbid!
                            Yes, I will list things on CL and supply shipping info and reference my ebay and gunbroker usernames so a buyer can check feedback.

Maybe I will list something like a rusty safety pin on ebay (paypal accepted)with a $19.99 starting bid so potential CL buyers can contact me through ebay and verify my identity.

Comment

Just had message tonight

final value fees from September.

you can translate into $

they are putting 1.25 percent extra on the £0.01 - £29.99
                              so goes up from 7.5 percent to 8.75 percent

and they are putting an extra 0.75 percent on the £30 - £599.99

so goes up from 4.5 percent to 5.25 percent

bugger them ........that plus paypal charges could equal near enough 15 percent of your profit. on anything under £30

hope they go down the plug hole !!! .

all the best.markj

Comment

Working...
                              X