OT, olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT, olympics

I've noticed a lot more activity on this board since the olympics started.
    I suspect it's because, like me, no one here gives a rat's arse!

I freely admit to being a non-sports fan.
    Also a white heterosexual male.
    The last species on earth, against which it is legal; even encouraged, to discriminate.

Is it just me, or is everyone else sick to the back teeth of "sponsored" events?

"Looks like the gold for salad arranging is going to......."

I'm just old enough to remember when the olympics used to be about athletics. Run, jump, throw.

Yes, I'm a facetious old fart too!

I'm still no sports fan, but what happened to the ideal of Pierre de Coubertin?

Discuss, contrast, compare.

I'm going back to my lathe.
    after a word from our sponsor...................
    Just got my head together
    now my body's falling apart

Don't care much for them myself, watching heat after heat of the same thing over and over, more fun to watch the grass grow.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Looks like I'm in for a bronze in the paint drying
      Just got my head together
      now my body's falling apart

Comment

I missed my calling, I should have been a Women's beach volleyball coach...

Comment

The Chinese seem interested in Javelin catching. Here is a report.

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/20...26_306455.html
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
            The Chinese seem interested in Javelin catching. Here is a report.

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/20...26_306455.html
            Boy that took real "smarts". Standing in front of a spear like that.
            ...lew...

Comment

Iv turned part time alkie watching them, I cant remember an olympics i didnt watch, Yes some stuff is boring, I have to sort through them, but im also fixated to the good stuff, the stuff that takes skill and strength --- My dad always had them on when we were kids, Im competitive to this day, Im 48 and dont know any young guys that can hang with me on my Mt. bike, I also intend on keeping it that way for a long time, When the last olympics were on I probably woke the neighbors up when the Italians brought out their beloved Ferrari in the opening ceremony's --- fired the beast up and started burning donuts at 20,000 RPM's, then Pavarotti gets out there and there wasnt a dry eye in the seats (even though he was lip synking )
              Only thing I hate about the olympics is the fact that I have to consume lots of beer when watching, that and the fact that when it comes to beer I have developed a refined palate (micro brews)--- Im now paying an average of over 9 bucks a six pack and I need for them to be over soon as I dont know how im going to make the mortgage at the end of this month.... Perspective is a funny word.
              If the olympics were on all the time they would be a total drag, but just when i really start getting tired of them they seem to go away...
              Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 08-22-2008, 07:22 PM.

Comment

The thing about them thar javelins is you cant see em when their coming right at you,

When I was kid me and a friend wanted to shoot our bows but we only had one arrow to play with, so we thought it would be wise to just shoot it back and forth to each other while we stood way way far away,(about a 30 to 45 degree arc) What a disaster --- it worked for awhile till I shot one too direct to "Mark" -- i remember looking for his reaction and he was just standing there, then I said "I already shot it!!!" Mark! Mark! --- He started to panic -- i could see it as I had a different view of its arc -- heading right for him, I could barely watch --- last second he leaps in the air and jerks his leg backwards, I went over and he was holding his knee, there was only a little "mark" on his knee cap and some blood, he said at the last second he seen it coming for his leg and jerked it back at that moment, I think thats what saves him from a serious injury...
                The thought that scares the hell out of me is he probably finally seen it because it changed its trajectory and he actually got a view of the shaft, had the arrow been going directly for his eye he never would have gotten that veiw, and it would also have killed him.

Comment

I am not that interested in them, I have watched a bit now and then..It's not really that fair when you have professional full time athletes competing against other athletes for whom it is a hobby and they need a full time job to support them...Also our TV network only shows swimming, swimming and more swimming cos that is the only sport besides shooting that our country is good at...And since shooting is very unPC they cannot show that on TV...
                  Precision takes time.

Comment

It seems that Javelin catching is, well, umm, catching on.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the..._ruin_your_day

Comment

The Olympics were originally based on martial skills of the Greek warriors, and that was the basis of the modern Olympics (summer and winter), javelin, running, discus etc. and in modern times shooting, cross country skiing and even bike racing (army's where some of the first user of bicycles) were all examples of military skills but what military past or present ever used snow boards. You have a so called sport stared by the "punk" fringe that got admittance to the Olympics and now claims legitimacy as a proper sport.

The Olympics have slid downhill, they used to be an example of the best, now they are whats marketable.
                      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

At this rate they will have to include it in the Olympics.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...56C0A965958260

Comment

Originally posted by Ringer
                          It's not really that fair when you have professional full time athletes competing against other athletes for whom it is a hobby and they need a full time job to support them...

Not fair for who? iv been around sports way too long to know what fuels a good athlete --- and its not having everything laid out in front of you --- its actually quite the opposite, the harder it is the better you train as it then makes training a walk in the park, My moneys on the guy who's just happy to get a meal after his workout, seen it too many times, go hunting, get shot in the back, have inoperable lead pellets stuck just a couple millimeters away from your heart, go out and win the tour de france multiple times (Greg lemond)
                          Get testicular cancer that spreads to your brain, lungs and abdomen --- put on 35 miles a day while going through chemo, when you cant do that anymore do laps with a walker and time yourself around the hospital information desk - Everytime you pass the desk tell the cute receptionist that your going to win the tour --- then go out and win the tour de france seven consecutive times (Lance Armstrong)----- the proof is not only in the pudding, it is the pudding itself -- and the pudding itself isnt made by easy street -- someone wants it they will find the time to train come hell or high water -- thats the beauty of it --- you cant buy that, you got to put out and to put out you gotta want too, real training is dirt cheap... the attitude it takes to do it is "priceless"...

The real athlete isnt thinking about the loss of a measly 40 hours out of his week - thats just recovery time which he has to do anyways -- he's planning on what he's going to do with the remaining 128.
                          Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 08-22-2008, 10:14 PM.

Comment

real training is dirt cheap
                            Unless you need a swimming pool or racing bike or $2000 skis and lift tickets etc. etc. Some sports like running don't require much in equipment but others cannot be practiced at all without the right equipment and the cheap stuff won't do.

Comment

You need to check into some of the poorer country's that are actually doing quite well, one didnt have a tennis court but they made and drained a swimming pool into one (no ball fetching )

Some others who dont have immediate access to pools actually train in the ocean (some of the aussies)

There are countless stories in the winter olympics of guys getting good on crap ski's -- then once they get on the real stuff they go like a bat out of hell, all it takes nowadays is to be recognized --- Go just a few years back and you can get the absolute best equipment of the day for 5 cents on the dollar, technology is good but its no comparison to the human will, last but not least, have someone tell you it cant be done, for me that almost seals the deal

Edit; In his book "its not about the bike" Lance was on his death bed with a 2 to 3% chance of survival --- it was then that the unthinkable happened -- Confidis (his french based cycling sponsors) gave him the news that they were dumping him, not only the sponsorship but also his medical coverage, After he cheated death he then had unsurmountable bills and expense to overcome --- hand somebody a bag of **** and most look at it as a bag of ****, A select few see enough methane gas to power a rocket --- then theres step two, rocket fuel can blow your head off if you dont know how to harness it, But it can also propel you anywhere you want to go, Yup -- all from a bag of **** ------------ After his first tour win Lance found himself having to walk past the Confidis Camp, he felt every eye upon him as he said "this one was for you guys"
                              ------------ He already had the inherent knowledge that there would be more, so many more...
                              Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 08-22-2008, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X