Lexan or Plexiglass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lexan or Plexiglass?

Im building some tanks to hold water for a extrusion line. Would you use lexan or plexiglass for this type of Tank and also how would you glue it together ?a One more question any tricks or tips on the proper procedure for milling in slots into this type of Material?? Thanx Guys

When I worked with plexiglass before we ould weld the seams with acetone. You would butt the joint then using a needle tipped applicator let a drop of acetone run down hill along the joint. You don't want to use too much because it will make the plexiglass look crappy where it runs. The welds hold fast. Not sure of the differences between lexan and plexiglass. I haven't fooled with either for 20 or more years. Fred

Comment

The plastic supplier can supply glue. Impact resistance is the
      main difference between the two: lexan has extreme shock
      resistance ("bulletproof plastic installs" use this in suitable
      thicknesses). Plexiglass, as implied by its name, is more glass
      like in its impact resistance. Size of the tanks you propose
      might steer one in one direction or the other. Polycarbonate
      is noticeably more expensive.
      Steve

Comment

Madman, why clear plastic at all? Why not buy a molded polyethylene tank with lid? Any size to a thousand gallons and translucent. Hell, buy a surplus plastic wine tote in a steel frame. They go here at the local scrap dealer for about $150.00. People with cottages use them for elevated water storage tanks. Duffy
        Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

you may find it better to search polycarbonate "lexan"
          or acrylic "plexiglass"

In quotes are just trade names.
          Just got my head together
          now my body's falling apart

Comment

Better search term

IF you do a google search under the term

Intermediate Bulk Containers (IBC's)

I think you will find what you are looking for.

Fixxit
            457863656C73696F7220212000

Comment

here you go including fiberglass structural elements I beams and Angle Iron http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.asp
              Great people to deal with, fast turnaround most stuff always in stock.
              Glen
              Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
              I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
              All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Duffy

The Tanks are very long must be clear and tough. Also i have to machine Grooves in the tops sides ect and seal glue it water tight. Thanx

Comment

I think if I was building a large tank to hold water, I would use some aluminum angle and machine screws to hold it together and then seal it with caulk or etc. I'm just skeptical of adhesives.

Comment

Madman:

A previous post cited a significant difference between "Lexan" and "plexiglas" -- fragility. You can bend Lexan 180 degrees and it will not break. Plexi is a bit less forgiving.

Whoever cuts the Lexan or Plexi materials sheets to size must be very careful to make flat, square, straight line cuts. Either material can be glued together to make the tanks you need, and the straighter, flater, and more square they are, the easier it is to make water tight joints. The glue used to make the joint is very liquid and is not at all good for filling/sealing gaps.

If the joints do not fit flush with each other, you can "fix" the problem with a simple technique. Whoever cuts the sheet stock -- you or your plastic supplier -- needs to save and give you several handfuls of shavings generated in the cutting process. After you have done the inital glue-up, place some of the shavings in a glass or metal container, then poor in some of the liquid glue. You will notice that the shavings melt, and the glue becomes thicker. When the mix has a buttery consistency, use a small artists brush/popsicle stick/or whatever (except your bare finger) to apply the "thick" glue. Work it into the gaps. It should do a good job of making the joints water tight.

If you have not worked with Lexan or Plexi before, and you want your final product to look good, there is a technique you must apply. When making joints, cut and remove the protective paper from about 1/2 inch around all sides of the joint. If you remove all the protective covering before the project is complete, you will likely have a few scratches show up. For the glue joint area, be sure to remove only about 1/2 inch of the paper -- do not leave any paper immediately adjacent to the glue line. The glue you will be using is very watery. The paper will readilly absorb it, and when you remove the paper you will see the plastic surface has fogged over where ever the adhesive made contact. (And that is another reason to leave the protective inplace -- except around the glue joints -- until the project is finished.

Hope you find this helpful.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack
                      I think if I was building a large tank to hold water, I would use some aluminum angle and machine screws to hold it together and then seal it with caulk or etc. I'm just skeptical of adhesives.
                      I second this type of build with lexan. Use windshield sealant.
                      Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

If you need to choose between lexan or plexiglass. I would use lexan without a dought. Lexan will bend without breaking. Lexan can be drilled and tapped without cracking. Lexan can be sheared, just like shetmetal, without cracking. Plexiglass can NOT do any of the above easily.
                        Lexan is whats used for windows in race cars cause its TOUGH

You could make your tank and hit the side with a hammer and it wont break. Lexan would shatter.

Comment

If I needed a large tank to hold process water I would buy a plastic septic tank.
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                          X