Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another "lube" question - Quality Oil Cans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "lube" question - Quality Oil Cans?

Well I tried the search function, but of course "oil can" returns no hits since they are both only 3 characters long. I tried oiler and all I got was one-shot oilers and etc...

So, here it goes again. Does anyone know where to get a quality oil can and, more importantly, what the proper spout is for oiling those little buttons. I bought a pretty nice oil can that I've been reasonable happy with but the tip on the spout has a little ridge and it won't seal against the button.

I have a bunch of broken oil cans from Smithy. They were cheap POS's, but the tip on the spout actually sealed against the button so you could oil everything properly.

How do you know which tip will fit an oil button? And where can I get a decent oil can these days!?

The Goldenrod branded cans (Dutton-Lainson is the company name as I recall) are pretty decent and come in lots of different flavors. They are much better made than the cheap import leakers. I keep way lube in one for feeding oil cups--I like the thumb-trigger variety best. They are a sort of copper color and I found a good variety of them locally at a chain called Farm King. It turns out that Tractor Supply (TSC) is a bigger chain and they sell some that are made by the same company but come in thier red color.

If by "those little buttons" you are talking about ball oilers, I have had the best bet with a big veterinary hypodermic. You can buy these in a package along with twist-on needles at any local farm supply place. Blunt the needle with a file before getting it oily, for safety. They are the only thing that will put most of the oil below the ball instead of on top You literally can shove the needle in past the ball, shoot some oil in, and then pull the works out. Wipe the ball first so as not to push crud down in where it doesn't belong.

good luck!
    Paul
    Paul Carpenter
    Mapleton, IL

Comment

Reilang oilers are supposed to be the best they are expensive and hard to find. I have given up trying to find a good one, even Goldenrods don't seem to do well if you have any back pressure. I think the main problem, is that the tolerances on the pumping mechanism are to loose.

I do remember reading some place about modifying a grease gun, since they deal with back pressure all the time maybe this would work.
      -Dan S.
      dans-hobbies.com

Comment

There are small hand operated oilers that have a cone shaped tip for those ball oilers. Stihl makes one for its saws and I've picked up a few at a local John Deere / Stihl dealer. Saw a similar one at a local auto parts store (not a chain) so they may be getting more popular.

Only two issues with these ... they don't hold a lot and if the oiler is not pointing up, you need to pump it against a rag to "prime" one shot and then inject it into the horizontal or upside down (hope not ) oiler. Den

Comment

I have a good old oiler...made in Italy about 30 years ago. It creates some pretty good pressure for oiling some of those cranky ball oilers.
          HOWEVER...it is a joke compared to the cheap lil grease gun conversion I made. I used the needle type grease gun end that you use for CV joints etc.
          The grease gun creates a pile of pressure and will oil even the crankiest of ball oilers.
          Cost about $7.
          Russ
          I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Yep, that's what I use. The tip for flush fittings works well. But I also often change the ball ports for real flush high pressure "grease fittings". Or, sometimes, just because it's easier to oil by just snapping it on, I use the standard "zirk" fittings. That way I can use the same oiler that I use on the Bridgeport without the messy flush adapter.
            Russ
            Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Look for a chainsaw oiler.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I have a Goldenrod brand oil can that I bought from McMaster Carr that is holding up very well. It has a flexible "spout" and the end fits the ball oilers just fine. I think mine holds about 8 oz.

Comment

Toker

Do you have any links, plans, or pics of this etc?

Originally posted by torker
                  I have a good old oiler...made in Italy about 30 years ago. It creates some pretty good pressure for oiling some of those cranky ball oilers.
                  HOWEVER...it is a joke compared to the cheap lil grease gun conversion I made. I used the needle type grease gun end that you use for CV joints etc.
                  The grease gun creates a pile of pressure and will oil even the crankiest of ball oilers.
                  Cost about $7.
                  Russ
                  -Dan S.
                  dans-hobbies.com

Comment

It is a very common modification. See here for plans.
                    Russ
                    Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

http://www.mcmaster.com/

page 2136 bottom of page,best made.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

they have Reilang oilers (1340K28), and the price is even higher than I remember $80

For that much it better come with a few gallons of vactra.

Originally posted by wierdscience
                        http://www.mcmaster.com/

page 2136 bottom of page,best made.
                        -Dan S.
                        dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Working...
                        X