Y-Axis Powerfeed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-Axis Powerfeed

I have always had powerfeed on the X axis of any manual mill that I have had, but until now, have not had a working Y axis powerfeed. I spent half of the day in the shop trying to finish up a little project so I can get to another one, and I used the Y powerfeed on my Lagun a lot and really like it. The biggie is no more repositioning of the part to be able to use the X feed to get a consistant finish, just leave it where it is and mill along either axis. I am going to try to always make sure that I have one. If you are looking for a present for your mill, this is a good one to consider.

On a related note, a Servo Brand 150 oz/in powerfeed is a LOT stouter than a chinese clone. My old Enco had the chinese version and it was a little weak, but the Lagun has 2 Servo units on it and they are very strong, almost scary strong.

Re: power feeds

I was fortunate enough to have Servo power feeds on all three axies of both of the mills at work. Talk about getting spoiled. If I had to choose, I would have to say that the one I really loved having was the knee lift. If I had a large hole drilling job I would start out with silver demming drills, all the same length, but would end up using taper shank drills of larger diameter that were of various lengths and finish up with the boring head. There was a whole lot of cranking in there until we got the knee feeds. The other benefit was the ability to bore holes deeper than the 6"(approx) that the quill gave you. That feed unit cost about $450 back in the early 80's so no telling what they get for one now. Still worth it though.
    Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyD
      On a related note, a Servo Brand 150 oz/in powerfeed is a LOT stouter than a chinese clone. My old Enco had the chinese version and it was a little weak, but the Lagun has 2 Servo units on it and they are very strong, almost scary strong.
      The Servo-brand powerfeeds are also full-wave rectified (at least, the model 140 and up are), so they feed a lot smoother than the Chinese clones (I have both).
      The Servo X-axis feeds also have a clutch, which is really nice when you jam the endmill or feed into a stop

By the way, a good compromise from the USA-Made Servo powerfeeds, which run over $500 now, is the D-1000 powerfeed that Servo makes in Taiwan. These are a modernized version of the Servo Model 150 design: they have a helical bevel gear and an electromagnetic clutch/brake. I got mine for ~ $200 when it's on sale at Penn Tool (which is most of the time). The one down-side is they replaced the steel shifter lever with a large panel switch, but they're very nicely made, for not a lot more than the Chinese (Asong) units.
      Last edited by lazlo; 08-26-2008, 04:45 PM.
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
      X