Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taig Lathe Spindle Dimensions

Did a search but didn't find an answer.

Anyone have a drawing or something that shows the dimensions of the Taig lathe spindle (the end where the chuck etc screw on) ?

I already know it is threaded 3/4"-16 tpi and has a register area which makes it somewhat longer than the Sherline spindle and that is about it.

cheers, Graham

On the standard Taig spindle the threaded part sticks out about .525. The internal bore is a little over .375, with a short 15 degree taper on the inside to fit it's special collets.

If this concerns the use of Sherline chucks on a Taig, or the opposite, I think you have to make a spacer for one and or machine the bore on the backside of the other. Not really sure.
    Gene

Comment

The bore is just over 5/16"
      As far as I know there's no detail drawing, the register portion is about 1/8" long before the threads start.
      Largest resource on the web for Taig lathes and milling machines, www.cartertools.com

Comment

Thanks guys,

The length of the spindle nose (threaded portion) and length of the register are two items I needed. Last bit of info is the diameter of the register area?

Nick, I am very aware of your web site as I have visited and poked through many of the links many times.

Thanks, Graham

Comment

This is a Taig backplate.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by GrahamC
            Last bit of info is the diameter of the register area?
            It would measure .750.
            Gene

Comment

Thanks guys, answers all my questions.

cheers, Graham

Comment

Working...
              X