Pucker factor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pucker factor

Did a high pucker factor job this afternoon...about 12.5 on a scale of 1 to 10. I'm building an underhammer muzzleloading rifle for a friend in WA, and we decided to use a through bolt to hold the "action" to the stock. So, I had to drill from one end of the piece of wood to the other...and it's not just any old piece of walnut, but a piece of highly figured wood that cost me $95, as a plank. Laid out all the lines externally on the blank, centerpunched each end and used a 16" long 5/16 drill, with the drill held in the lathe headstock and a center in the tailstock. Low rpms, candle wax to lube the drill bit, drill half way through and turn the wood around to drill from the other side...Thank G-d, the drilled holes met within less than 1/16" displacement in a 15" deep hole! Then, I had to open the rear section up to 7/8" for a depth of about 5", started using a Forstner bit, then switched to a spade bit with an extension...and it came out true. The Forstner bit was also held in the headstock, but switched to a 3/8" hand drill for the spade bit.

I've seen drills wander off course through the side of a stock blank, and I've seen other guys virtually explode a fancy blank when drilling like this... Man, I feel good that it's done!

David
    Montezuma, IA
    David Kaiser
    “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Glad to hear that it worked out ok. Hope to see pics of the final product, sounds very interesting.

ME

Comment

My teacher told me that they are working on a pucker switch for jobs like that!

Comment

High pucker factors lead to reverse donut-shaped impressions in the upholstery if you're sitting during the episode.
        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Working...
        X