Progress report, shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress report, shop

Hi All, Here are a couple of pics of my latest progress. I got most of the rafters up on the south side and laid some purlins in temporary so I would have something to walk on while cutting the old siding where the new roof meets it.

Hope I am not as slow on the north side, it felt like rain today but turned out to be fog instead.

Jay
    "Just build it and be done"

Nice looking work, Jay - and don't worry about the rain - we got it here in Seattle

Comment

Looks like your moving right along,I like seeing purlins let in too,good job.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I never saw purlins let in to the rafters before. If sheet metal type
        roofing is to be used what does it accomplish.? If plywood or boards
        were to be used I can see it would give a better support.
        ...lew...

Comment

snow load?

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick
            I never saw purlins let in to the rafters before. If sheet metal type
            roofing is to be used what does it accomplish.? If plywood or boards
            were to be used I can see it would give a better support.
            ...lew...
            It helps prevent racking on a gable roof and it's easier to keep clean if the rafter bays are left open,easier to insulate if they are closed.
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Looking good. Now that you have a head of steam built up dont stop.

I just finished painting the walls inside the shop. Took all day and beat me up. But in the end, its nice to look back and say "I did that".

rock~
              Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Are you going to provide a little "air compressor closet" inside the framing or outside?

Comment

Thanks for the replys and encouragement guys. On letting in the rafters, if the notches are tight, it does help a lot with racking. The purlins are only 1" X 4" material, but with 104 joints on each side, it does add strength against rack. Joe, my air compressor is in the attic in the other side. It is pretty noisy and a closet would be a good idea. You can see it in this picture.

I will be putting tin roofing up like on the other side so it will cover pretty quick. I put felt paper down first when I did it 19 years ago and it seems to work pretty good. I have a lot of machines and tools to move, so I hope I get another month or so before the rain.

Jay
                  "Just build it and be done"

Comment

Originally posted by tiptop
                    Joe, my air compressor is in the attic in the other side. It is pretty noisy and a closet would be a good idea. You can see it in this picture.
                    Now that you mention it - yes I can make out the air compressor up in the loft of the existing shop

I've been licking my chops at the idea of expanding my shop too, but had to call it off for this year as sweety needed a new car Maybe next spring

But part of my plans were to closet the "noise makers" (Vacume and Air Compressor) with outside access and pipe the air around the walls and the vacume over the ceiling joist.

But yes I'm jealous as I had to let go of a nice SB 14 1/2" by 62" because I could not afford the space right now

Comment

Working...
                    X