South Florida used tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Florida used tools?

Well, I looked at the classifieds of where I used to live and just shook my head at all the deals I saw for lathes and mills... In South Florida, it is a different story!! I guess I am stuck buying new Chinese stuff. Anyone have any idea's of where to find decent prices on used machine tools in South Florida?

Florida is a tough place to find "old iron" in. The best thing to do is to keep on eye on the Craigs list sites, and cover a wide area that way.

I know of a place called "Acme Surplus" near Orlando. Surplus is a pretty small community, if you call Acme, they might be able to hook you up with a dealer in your area.

Their # is 407-328-1280

Comment

Re: Good old iron source

BillH....I bought a Bridgeport mill, a Clausing 10"x48" lathe and a MSC surface grinder from a dealer in Seminole Fla., between St. Pete and Clearwater. The guy sells on Ebay (has a store there) but I just dropped by his warehouse and looked his stuff over. Turned out well too! The mill has a VFD and travadials on x and y. The machines came with all kinds of accessories, chucks, vices, and some tooling. I got the whole works for $5K delivered. The business is G and G Machinery. Check him out. His name is Gerry Malachowski. His email is:

[email protected]

I am not connected with him in any way other than a very satisfied customer.

Good luck,
      Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

thanks guys, I'll look into it!

Comment

Originally posted by Scishopguy
          BillH....I bought a Bridgeport mill, a Clausing 10"x48" lathe and a MSC surface grinder from a dealer in Seminole Fla., between St. Pete and Clearwater. The guy sells on Ebay (has a store there) but I just dropped by his warehouse and looked his stuff over. Turned out well too! The mill has a VFD and travadials on x and y. The machines came with all kinds of accessories, chucks, vices, and some tooling. I got the whole works for $5K delivered. The business is G and G Machinery. Check him out. His name is Gerry Malachowski. His email is:

[email protected]

I am not connected with him in any way other than a very satisfied customer.

Good luck,
          His old iron is better priced than his new chinese potmetal, look at this Sieg X2 he is selling..
          http://cgi.ebay.com/L-K-NEW-VARIABLE...742.m153.l1262

Comment

Bill,I can find out from my boss,but at one time there was a "machinery row" in/near Miami.One long street with nothing but dealers and rebuilders.Dunno if it's still there,but I will ask.

Dumb question,have you tried the yellow pages?
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Re: G and G

BillH...Gerry is an older guy and I think he is trying to get his kids up to speed so that they will eventually take over the business. He deals mostly in good used machines but it woudn't surprise me if the kids weren't into the new import stuff. I met them when I was down looking at my stuff. I wish that there were more sources for used tooling. That is what really runs up the cost of equipping a useable machine shop.
              Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Florida is a funny place for machine tools...at auction anyway. The most jaw dropping deals I've ever made were in Florida, but then most of the time machines sell pretty high there at auction...hard to predict.

Acme Surplus owner is a good guy but is not in "Southern Florida", has very few machines and has tooling at outrageously high prices usually...mush of it sitting behind a glass case for decades. Acme is best for buying small quantities of materials...he has lots of aluminum in small sizes for example.

G-Machine is a strange one....I've seen him at numerous auctions in the Tampa area buying everything from late CNC machines to shop rags, and paying close to, if not more than, end user retail for most...beyond me how he makes any money.

One major dealer in Hialeah (AM Metalmaq) and one in Ft Lauderdale...but no bargains there either. Best "all around" dealer that I know of in FL is Sam Valenzisi at Sierra Victor in Port Orange, FL....but here again, not exactly "south" Florida...

Comment

Working...
                X