No announcement yet.

Moving Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent detail on this MickeyD. Thanks for pulling together for us (me)

Comment

Mickey, I think that I beam is awfully light for 4000 lbs. That would be about a 1 ton max crane with a span of 8' for a 6" I beam. Really you should use a 8" beam for 2 tons.

When I decided to build mine I used a bunch of different sites to figure what I wanted for a top beam. I was aiming for 3 tons max capacity (Even though I only have a 2 ton hoist and trolley) Here are a couple of the sites I used:

http://www.wallacecranes.com/thrftste_fixed.htm
      http://hoists.apluswhs.com/gantry-cr...gantry-cranes/

My max width was determined by the widest I could get through the garage door.

Wish I had though about those cylinders though...

Comment

Originally posted by macona
        I am sure everyone is sick of seeing it... But I like to gloat... ~3250lbs of Sidneys Finest....

Sick of seeing it? Never! That is one fantastic lathe. Not quite as beautiful as my Pacemakers, but still awsome

I'll have to post some pics once I get that '45 shined up. I like gloating too Not in the same class as a refinished 10EE, though. Speaking of refinishing, the ways on mine aren't bad enough to warrant having it ground, but they're not in "like-new" condition by anymeans. You had yours ground, didn't you?
        Last edited by Fasttrack; 10-08-2008, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Machinery Mover

This worked out fairly well for me, I can move a medium size knee mill by myself:

More photos here:

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow

Comment

dfw5914,

Very interesting....

Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack
              Sick of seeing it? Never! That is one fantastic lathe. Not quite as beautiful as my Pacemakers, but still awsome

I'll have to post some pics once I get that '45 shined up. I like gloating too Not in the same class as a refinished 10EE, though. Speaking of refinishing, the ways on mine aren't bad enough to warrant having it ground, but they're not in "like-new" condition by anymeans. You had yours ground, didn't you?
              I think my lathe had a had a hard life in its beginnings in the Detroit Ordinance District during WWII. The machine was rebuilt at one time. My guess in the 50s or 60s. The Rebuilders tag was on it when I got it and it had an old alpha-numeric zip code on it for Los Angeles.

My guess, and there is no way I will ever be able to verify it, is at that time the bed was reground. When I got the machine the ways were in good shape. I think this is because the v way on the saddle was so worn that the saddle was sitting about .030 low in front and was only contacting the V at the crest, not at the flanks.

So I did the moglice thing when I did the rebuild. Seems pretty darn straight. Using the rollie's dad method I have about .0005 taper in 12" which I believe is within spec for a 10EE. I dont have a test bar but I might buy one when I redo the lathe spindle bearings. Found a NOS set on ebay the other week for about 1/6 the price of new.

Comment

Thanks Mike.
                I recently pulled the setup out of rusty storage (in a pile behind my shed) to move two more Hurco CNC mills. Having the machine secured to the roll-around base sure makes the move easy. A powered winch of some sort would be nice though.

Comment

Its Nice

But to pump it up you have to go from side to side? Then also i was at the hydraulic shop the the other day those lengths of hyd Cyl are expensive. But the idea has merit. Nice Jiob Mike

Comment

Getting Equipment Into A Basement?

There are a lot of great ideas here for moving equipment. I'd like to build something for moving equipment, lathe, small mill (or perhaps a Linley), etc. into my basement workshop. Access to the basement is through the back door of the house, down a 30" wide, short stairwell (landing and then six steps). I realize I'm limited to the size of machine that can be brought through this small opening, and that my other option is: disassembly, carry the machine components downstairs one at a time, and then reassembly in the basement.

My thought was to make the landing/stairs removable so they can be swung out of the way to make room for an i-beam crane. The legs of the crane would be adjustable so that one end would rest on the basement floor and the other would be up on the driveway, just outside of the back door. The machine could be lifted from the driveway with hoists (I'm thinking two, one on each end of the i-beam), then the entire assembly rolled towards the house, and then finally the machine is lowered into the basement. Has anyone out there tried something like this?

Thanks,
                    Mark

Comment

Bluechip, check this out ... http://bridgeport.askmisterscience.com/bridgeport.htm

Comment

Iron Fairy

Originally posted by quasi
                        Mickey, I really like your design.

Mcgrath, you use Fairy's in Scotland for lifting things? Here in Canada they are mostly fashion designers and T.V. Hosts.
                        In Canada you have these to design clothes and host T.V. ? I knew it was a big country but....

Iron fairy a well know make/model of cranes in the uk so famous they had toys made of them in the 60's... I had those

Last edited by derekm; 10-10-2008, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Here`s another way of doing it.
                          http://www.ems-fife.co.uk/iveco.htm

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kpQ3QYAGY0

Fairy??? Mine has Balls.. Neighbor was telling his buddy over there.. "it must have a 427 in it" the way it runs. Actually 55 sounds like 100mph.. it's all gear and 7000lb chassis.

BY the way, Mickey: I made a pdf out of your crane system.. will clean it up and post it if you don't mind sharing. I got a mess of lifting tools but none that travel other than the wrecker.. and people freak out when it rolls in the door.
                            Last edited by Dawai; 10-10-2008, 12:38 PM.
                            Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Movin machines

I built a toe or track jack like i saw in some pictures. NOW it tips over when i use it HaHa on me. LOL Anyways i am going to mount it solid onto its new base plate i built for it. Seems like a poor idea of sorts. Will have to see how the newest mods work out when i have time. I just got in from my nitrogen plumbing job . Another late night.

Comment

Heavy Equipment!

I've rented HD trucks twice to pick up mills since I took my truck off tthe road.

Comment

Working...
                                X