Old School Threading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old School Threading?

WELL i was asked to hook up a Nitrogen Tire Filling System for a friend. NOW i asked him do you or can you get a pipe threader NO PROBLEM my uncle has one. WELL its a really old rigid model all Manual and i dont have a frikken clue how to use it properly. I will be using 1.250 dia. black Pipe for the mains and 1 inch feeder pipe to the 6 hose reels. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanx Madman

What model Ridgid threader is it?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Madman don't know if this is what your looking.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...highlight=daye

daye

Comment

Originally posted by madman
        NOW i asked him do you or can you get a pipe threader NO PROBLEM my uncle has one. WELL its a really old rigid model all Manual and i dont have a frikken clue how to use it properly.

Madman, If it is just a die head and ratchet handle the proper way to use it is : Hire a YOUNG strong teen and watch him work up a sweat while You are doing layout and cutting pipe for him to thread.

Steve

Comment

And don't forget to squirt some sulfur cutting oil on the pipe as you thread it.

Clutch

Comment

I've never used a Rigid manual head,but have used a Rigid pipe threading machine as in the link above.

If it's a separate dieing head that you physically lift on to the pipe and operate with a ratchet handle, there should be an adjustment for depth of cut and there'll be a lever to close the jaws to start and open the jaws at the end of the cut so you can just pull it off the pipe.

Start off with a less than full depth cut and keep adjusting it until the threads are the right size by trying a fitting on,when you get it correct just leave it at that setting for all future threads on that size pipe.

It's many years since I threaded any pipe,but that's how the manual pipe threading heads worked on the one's I used up to 6" diam.Make sure to use some threading/cutting paste on the pipe as well.

Don't know if this helps at all.

Allan
            Last edited by Allan Waterfall; 09-27-2008, 07:11 AM.

Comment

This is the cats a$$ for light to medium pipe threading. Rigid's hand held power threader. Used one when I was helping install an assembly line out in Ca.

Click for larger photo.

I could take it up to the roof and thread pipe all day long - and not break a sweat. Then again it was LA, Ca in Aug so I do remember sweating a bit.

We also had a horse type (shown in the link posted by tigmusky) and it was fantastic except, I had to go to where it was. While it was sorta portable, it was not that portable.

Now, I did go out and buy a horriblefright pipe threader a few years back. It works ok, but not as smooth and easy as the Rigid. Although, it might get you by depending on how much threading you have to do.

I did have an initial problem with the one die not cutting correctly. I took that die back and they traded me for a new one, no questions. The new one worked great. For $115 (what I paid then) it has since paid for itself at least twice over. So I cant complain. I think that they are $140 now.

If you plan to buy one of these cheapo cutters, I suggest that you run out to your local Lowes or big box hardware store and buy one of each of the four pipe sizes plus a coupling for each size as well. Then, use each of the threading dies once on the pipe. The couplings are then used to check the cut. Thread them on and see if all is ok. Its a cheap double check at the start.

And yes, you will need sulfur cutting oil. I could never cut threads correctly without it.

rock~
              Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Thanx

I will be doing loads of 1.25 dia,. and 1 inch also. Should be interesting. I fiound a hand type ratcheting model at princess auto it looks ok anyone use one? later Mike

Comment

Originally posted by madman
                  I will be doing loads of 1.25 dia,. and 1 inch also. Should be interesting. I fiound a hand type ratcheting model at princess auto it looks ok anyone use one? later Mike
                  Madman, I have an old Rigid ratchet threader 1/8'' to 1-1/4'' range. Very handy if You need a quick thread ''chase'' or a couple of new threads on sch.40 or 80 pvc or brass, and not too bad on blk pipe up to 3/4''. But I would not want to try to do any production threading . Rent, buy or borrow an electric threader lik pictured above... You will be alot happier later.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X