No announcement yet.

OT - Todays Investment Strategy (humor)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Todays Investment Strategy (humor)

401K INVESTMENT STRATEGY

If you had purchased $1000.00 of Nortel stock one year ago, it would now
    be worth $49.00.

With Enron, you would have $16.50 left of the original $1000.

With WorldCom, you would have less than $5.00 left.

If you had purchased $1000.00 of Delta Air Lines stock you would have
    $49.00 left.

If you had purchased United Airlines, you would have nothing left.

But, if you had purchased $1000.00 worth of beer one year ago, drank all
    the beer, then turned in the cans for the aluminum recycling refund you
    would have $214.00.

Based on the above, the best current investment advice is to drink heavily
    and recycle.

This is called the 401-Keg Plan.

Planeman

Hmm last time I turned in cans I think I got around .63 cents a pound. I have no idea what a can weighs but I think that calculation may be off That or they're talking about such cheap rotten gut beer that even high school and college students would turn their nose up at it and I drank some cheap beer during those days...natural light ice anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by mochinist
      Hmm last time I turned in cans I think I got around .63 cents a pound. I have no idea what a can weighs but I think that calculation may be off That or they're talking about such cheap rotten gut beer that even high school and college students would turn their nose up at it and I drank some cheap beer during those days...natural light ice anyone.
      how about Black Label and Piels?

andy b.
      The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Applied Science

I thought that the core subject in College was Applied Chemistry 101 - aka turning cheap booze into pi$$ and w(h)ine.

2nd. subject was Anatomy 101 - Barber's cat: full of pi$$ and wind.
        Last edited by oldtiffie; 09-28-2008, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andy_b
          how about Black Label and Piels?

andy b.
          Never heard of either, drank a lot of Hamms though, gives me a hangover just thinking about it.

Comment

They put Black Label in a 1/4 ton trailer iced down in front of the mess hall in RVN and couldn't give it away.

Comment

You must be drinking some cheap beer. On that note, my dad used to work at the Jax brewery in New Orleans. He told me that when the bottling machines would get out of whack and start dumping beer on the floor, they would suck it up, run it through a filter to get the rats and other debris out, and then rebottle it as no-name beer. Seeing that the brewery was a couple of hundred years old and everyone just peed down the elevator shaft, that must have been some "good" beer.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyD
                You must be drinking some cheap beer. On that note, my dad used to work at the Jax brewery in New Orleans. He told me that when the bottling machines would get out of whack and start dumping beer on the floor, they would suck it up, run it through a filter to get the rats and other debris out, and then rebottle it as no-name beer. Seeing that the brewery was a couple of hundred years old and everyone just peed down the elevator shaft, that must have been some "good" beer.
                I find it is best to avoid going to or talking to people that work at places that do food/beverage stuff. What you don't know...

Comment

Investment

Back to the OP - sort of.

In financial terms is "investment casting" just throwing money away - or burning it?

Comment

Most investment casting is done with wax that is melted out and recycled. So they get a good return on their investment!

Comment

Waxing lyrical

In the current circumstances (economical) that is worth waxing lyrical about. Especially if "recycling" can be read as "recovery".
                      http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/wax+lyrical

I need to get into somebody's wax (ear) about that.

Comment

Those 1000 Coca-Cola cans I crushed earlier this summer brought in $80. Was worth the few hours it took to do. BTW, a standard garbage can holds nearly exactly 1000 crushed cans +- 50 or so assuming a crush to uncrushed volume ratio of about 14 to 1.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

As I tore down the rental trailer here, as the aluminum would hit the ground.. next day... gone.. never saw it picked up.. never saw it leave. DOG never barked.

That stuff must've floated off.

Beer-soda cans are the worst mosquito breeders there are.. the dew hatches the worms out.
                          Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Oh boy, isn't this fun?

Dow drops 778 as bailout bill fails
                            http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...aspx?GT1=33002

Stocks suffered a massive sell-off today after the House of Representatives narrowly failed to approve a $700-billion rescue plan for the U.S. financial system.

The Dow Jones industrials fell 778 points, or 7%, to 10,365. It was the biggest point loss ever for the blue-chip index and the biggest percentage loss since Sept. 17, 2001, the first day of trading after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

The Standard & Poor's 500 Index suffered its biggest one-day point loss and its biggest percentage loss since the October 1987 market crash.
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

At this rate I don't know if my retirement plan is going to be able to pay for a coffin! I guess that will be a Saturday project.

But in all reality, this is really messed up. With credit tightening up so much and all of the financial problems, I give it six weeks until a fortune 500 company does not make payroll.

Comment

Working...
                              X