(OT) Model Engineering, pastime of the svelte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (OT) Model Engineering, pastime of the svelte

going through a bunch of new old ME's sorting for duplicates and was struck by this cover. The boys on that track sure had to keep off the donuts.

There was a Live Steam article where a man built a small narrow gauge eletric rail and loco to help him remove dirt from under is house.From having dug a dumptruck load out from under a house years ago I can say it was brilliant.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I guess so!

Dunno though......

I can see the fun of actually building one of those locos, possibly, if you have lots of time.

But I am darned if I see the draw of sitting on it and driving it around the track........ Maybe once or twice, but after that I just don't quite see the point........

A neighbor has a "garden railroad"..... same deal.... it goes around and around, but once the basic idea is grasped, then what?

OTOH, I don't get quite so tired of going "rather fast" in or on some suitable form of vehicle......... or even on a couple of "boards" on snow.........to each their own.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
        I guess so!

Dunno though......

I can see the fun of actually building one of those locos, possibly, if you have lots of time.

But I am darned if I see the draw of sitting on it and driving it around the track........ Maybe once or twice, but after that I just don't quite see the point........

A neighbor has a "garden railroad"..... same deal.... it goes around and around, but once the basic idea is grasped, then what?

OTOH, I don't get quite so tired of going "rather fast" in or on some suitable form of vehicle......... or even on a couple of "boards" on snow.........to each their own.
        Its the smell of the steam. Its addictive I'm told. Boil a pot of water and the steam is just, ...well,... steam. But, steam that has been through a steam engine has a little extra. Don't know what it is. Maybe it picks up a bit of oil or something but it has a distinctive smell to it.
        And no, I don't have a steam loco, nor to I intend to build one. I've reached my level of incompetence and building a model loco is a fair bit higher.

regards
        bollie7

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
          I I can see the fun of actually building one of those locos, possibly, if you have lots of time.

But I am darned if I see the draw of sitting on it and driving it around the track........ .
          well not when you've got to be perched like an acrobat...

but I completely agree. Its sort of the ultimate big home shop challenge so i can see enjoying the build, but sitting on the darn thing, yeah I'm with you.....otoh so many guys get a big kick out of it that there must be something there, but it hasn't occurred to me yet

Comment

OT-ME's

McG,
            An odd thought of the use of a word- svelte?

Of course, I know the picture. It stands out amongst the rest.

Was it 'Ned' Westbury, The Trustee in the Tool Room?

The date is 1950. Some things were still on ration in the UK. I recall swopping my sweet ration for a flight home immediately prior to Christmas 1949. Again, one of my clerks on one of my Tech.Wing sections at RAF Hendon was a mere 90 pounds. I was under 160 if I recall.
            Britain was still starving.

I have a RAF Squadron Re-union this weekend and my brain is becoming more focussed to 'all our yestedays'
            I recall paying twopence for a theatre ticket and coming out in the gaslights to seeing a woman scratching for cabbage leaves in the debris from the London Market next door.

Today, my old clerk still remembers me getting him another shilling a day. He's been in all sorts of trouble since those days and his memory is not what it was- but that few miserable coins is still vivid.

'Edgar T Westbury'- hummmmm?

Norm

Comment

Dig out the old recipies Norm, the way that the sham Scotsman and sweetie pie are taking us over here, we're going to need them soon, you should be able to get a few quid for reprints. "How to feed a family of ten on three cabbage leaves, a quarter of a tin of beans and two ounces of skrag ends for a month" Boy, we had it tough!
              B.O.T. The toy train brigade are split into two factions, them that build to build and them that build to drive. The BTB get the enjoyment out of solving machining problems, the BTD get the enjoyment out of operating the loco as a miniature of the full size, BOTH have to solve how to sort out the dimensional errors that exist on designs that are more than half a century old in some cases.
              As we know, there's an aquired skill in sliding down a snowy slope on two planks of wood, no matter how easy it looks from a distance, likewise, there's an aquired skill in keeping a fire burning correctly underneath a pressure vessel, that if not respected and treated correctly, can explode and blow yer bloody 'ed orft! Appearences CAN be deceptive.
              Regards Ian.
              Last edited by Circlip; 10-07-2008, 11:12 AM.
              You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Ot-ME and that

Thanks Ian,
                A wee bit down in the dumps- cataracts in both eyes!
                At 78, what can I expect- but my thanks to you for the bright spot of the day.

I made a prediction( I might be half blind, half deaf and dizzy) but how are you and the nicer people surviving?

My wife still has her Ration Book, I have her Dad's tin hat and gas mask. She now realises that her Mickey Mouse gas mask won't fit.

Off to the Soup Kitchen.

TTFN

Norm

Comment

Nil Illigitum Norm, now where did I put that tin of powdered egg?? Mary Ellen has been predicting the same situation for years so it's interesting watching the decapitated bantams.
                  You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                  X