Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone still make a *quality* drill chuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone still make a *quality* drill chuck?

I need a good chuck in a small size, no bigger than 1/4 diameter. The last two Jacobs I got have not been the quality I thought I paid for.
    James Kilroy

What about albrecht, or are they junk now too?

Comment

by the prices they seem to be, they certainly should be good. German made ?

Comment

Unfortunately, Jacobs had serious financial problems and was bought out by the giant Danaher group, and the chucks are now made in China. I bought a new Jacobs 14N from Enco, and it was lousy -- I returned it and bought a New Old Stock 14N on Ebay, and it's much nicer.

I remember seeing a post on Practical Machinst that said that the Chinese Jacobs chucks cost-engineered the integral ball thrust bearing, which would explain a lot...
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

What Jacobs chuck did you buy? They make a broad range of chucks from throw away chucks for hand drills to the industrial quality ones. The 8-1/2N Ball Bearing Super chuck or the 1A, 1B or 7BA chucks should be good quality. They don't make a 1/4" taper mount chuck, but the 34 series in the 0-1/2" range are heavy duty chucks as well.

Albrecht are high quality while Rohm and LFA are pretty much comparable in keyless chucks at lower price than Albrecht.
          Jim H.

Comment

All of the Jacobs I have are the "Super Chucks". The allowable runout is .003 which is fine (most of the time) if I am drilling a 5/8" hole with a big chuck. Not acceptable for really small drills. (For me, anything under 1/8" is really small) The bad part is most of them are not that good. I may have to get a ER16 holder and resort to collets.
            James Kilroy

Comment

If you don't want to go the collet route, look at an Albrecht with an integral shank. They will be more accurate than the ones you need an adapter for. It looks like albrecht is still made entirely in Germany.

These seem pretty neat (not what your looking for I realize):
              http://www.albrechtchucks.com/apc_milling_chucks.cfm

A TIR of .00012 is pretty damn good in my book

Comment

LOL Fastrack! That's a high-speed, dynamically balanced CNC chuck. I bet they don't carry that at Enco
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I've got Jacobs in both plain and ball bearing. Very nice. As others have said, modern Jacobs is only barely (if any?) above the cheapest CDCO/Shars lineup, but the MBAs at Danaher are still "leveraging the Brand" to coax out a few more years of enormous profit margins (the only reason they bought the Jacobs name) until they've run it (the brand, chucks are already there) completely into the ground.

I've also got a very nice old 1/4" Jacobs keyed chuck on my Pratt Whitney sensitive drill press. It is taper mounted, so I know they made them at some time in the past.

Also note that "Super Chucks" typically have more runout than the plain bearing lineup.

For new keyed chucks, I have no idea where to look. But I have some relatively new Albrechts that are fantastic. And the first R8 mounted chuck for my 2J was a Rohm 1/2 Keyless from the typical Enco sales catalog for about $55 or so. It seems very nearly as nice as the Albrechts, but MUCH cheaper. Not sure if they have any of the Rohms as small as you want, might check. But I have 3/16 and 1/4" Albrechts that are top notch for anybodies money...
                  Russ
                  Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                    LOL Fastrack! That's a high-speed, dynamically balanced CNC chuck. I bet they don't carry that at Enco

Yeah, like I said - not a viable solution for the "home shop machinist". Thats probably why I never saw them before

Comment

Rohm, is supposed to be really good.
                      -Dan S.
                      dans-hobbies.com

Comment

At the risk of being laughed off the forum, I have two 1/2" "Golden Goose" ball bearing chucks made in Taiwan. They are excellent. Minimal runout (0.001" when new) and they grip tight. I can't remember ever having a bit slip in these chucks.

One was the Enco house brand, the other came from ebay.

Small they are not. I keep a cheap chinese plain chuck on hand for the rare occasions when a smaller chuck is required to reach into a tight spot.

Sorry if this offends yall patriotic types, but some of the asian stuff is pretty good these days.

Comment

It won't be me laughing,I have several of the Taiwan keyless chucks.Could not be happier.

http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com/pro...huck-JT2/G8232

Albrecht is over priced and over rated,they self tighten to the point a strap wrench is required to release them.Never had that problem with the Taiwan units.
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Sorta funny. This was when i first got my lathe. No enco catalog and no clue. I accidentally bought a Jacobs 0-.375 from Mcmaster Carr and it was made in the USA. I guess this stuff is made in lots and may sit around for years. Either way, it has about 1 thou runout, would be better if I cleaned it out 100%. Use in the tailstock seems to result in chips. It is oddly slightly worse feel than the cheap chuck that came with my micromill, though I suppose I do not know what good feel is.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                              It won't be me laughing,I have several of the Taiwan keyless chucks.Could not be happier.

http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com/pro...huck-JT2/G8232

Albrecht is over priced and over rated,they self tighten to the point a strap wrench is required to release them.Never had that problem with the Taiwan units.

Maybe you just need stronger hands
                              I'm not a big fan of keyless chucks, myself. No particular reason - it just seems like they shouldn't have as a good of holding power as the ol' Jacob's keyed "super chucks". Too bad about Jacob's, though.

The chineese chuck that came with my 3-in-1 feels "smooth" although it has no ball bearings and a TIR of .008. Its worthless. I even took it off its adapter several times to try to find a better orientation that would result in less runout. Its ok in the tailstock if you have oriented so its a tad high. If you put it in the mill it is scary! I'm affraid it will just destroy my drill bits. Luckily those Pacemakers came with an assortment of old Jacob's ball bearing chucks - max capacity from 1/2 to 5/18 to 3/4

Comment

Working...
                              X