No announcement yet.

Improving An L5

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Improving An L5

    finally got this finished... its been sat clamped to the mill table (Love having a big mill, can leave jobs setup and still use the rest of it ) for a couple of weeks, as I needed a 13mm (1/2" actually) collet to hold the woodruff cutter I borrowed (Thanks John) to press into service as a T Slot cutter.
    This is the scariest cut Ive made so far on my mill, the slot is full width of the (borrowed) cutter, the small part of the T is 16.5mm across. The block is a piece of Thyroplast 2085 I picked up, its a stainless mould steel. Its hard, but it does polish up nicely though.

    It a block that replaces the top slide from my Harrison L5. I dont use the topslide much, and removing a slide should help with the rigidity, parting off 30mm dia 316 stainless was a bit to exciting...


    Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

  • #2
    Dave -

    I think you'll like your new block. I made one a little while ago, and it does improve rigidity a bit. I made mine exactly the same height as the compound so I wouldn't have to change any of my QC holders.

    Here's the project, if you're interested:

    Frank Ford


    • #3
      I think I recognise the block of steel that came from...

      Nice job Dave. How did it turn on the lathe? I've only milled/bored bits of mine so far.



      • #4
        It turns beautifully
        carbide tool (one from John S ) with TPMR 110304E-46 inserts at about 700 rpm (have variable speed, so not certain about this, was quite fast tho).
        The block is about 5" square.
        Swarf flies off a lovely golden bronze sort of colour in nice curls, and the surface finish is almost mirror

        I need more milling practice I think, I just couldnt get the feel for how fast I should go. Mostly Ive been milling Alloy, where basically turning up the spindle as fast as possible and using the rapids for feeds is fine.
        The T part of the slot was cut at 250 rpm, and 1.5 ipm, I think a higher speed and feed could have been used, but Im not in a hurry (usually). Guess I should really look up the tooth load calcs and do it properly. The slot part was cut with a 12mm 4 flute endmill, at 560 rpm about 4 ipm (IIRC) and 0.1" DOC (I didnt dare go any deeper...)

        Frank, Yes If Ive got the measurements correct it will be the same overall height as the compound, so I dont have to reset my QCTP holders.

        Just south of Sudspumpwater UK