The thing at the end of a C clamp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The thing at the end of a C clamp?

I have some 1/2 13 bolts that I would like to use as one would use a C clamp. Does anyone know how the piece that swivels at the end of a C clamp is made? My guess is a ball turned at the end of the bolt then the free floating piece cut to just press over the ball then piened over?
    stuck ed

Most of the crappy ones aren't even peened over - they are just pressed onto the ball. Thats why they always pop off after a couple of months!

But yep, there is a ball at the end of the rod and then the pad pressed on.

Comment

A step by step article from Frank Ford's site:

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Pr...clampfeet.html

Comment

Funny I have read his site many times & missed that, guess I did not need them at the time.
        thanks 4d lead
        ed

Comment

Thanks to JDF for the link and to Frank for the post. I also missed that one.

that's the kind of posts I like to see here
          Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Originally posted by gr8life
            I have some 1/2 13 bolts that I would like to use as one would use a C clamp. Does anyone know how the piece that swivels at the end of a C clamp is made? My guess is a ball turned at the end of the bolt then the

free floating piece cut to just press over the ball then piened over?
            well, not quite the way I make mine

stuck ed
            Anyways, If you plan to make your own C-clamp fulcrum, I would also
            mill/cut a "V" notch across the center of its face.
            You may find this advantageous when the time comes to working round stock for welding or whatever.

Patch

Comment

Here is one I made earlier! Piening over is made a bit easier if you cut a few slots across the ball housing first as in pic on right. It also means the housing can be thicker and the ball less likely to escape.

Mark
              What you say & what people hear is not always the same thing.
              www.remark.me.uk

Comment

Thanks for the idea!

I occasionally need some very light-duty C-clamps. Looking at old biker uk's pix got the thought started, and yesterday the idea crystalized when I looked at some old junk in one of my old junk boxes, thus:

I have a bunch of worthless micrometers...some worn out and some chinese. I think I'll take these, remove the mic barrels, tap the holes, and make some little clamps.

Comment

Originally posted by old-biker-uk
                  Here is one I made earlier! Piening over is made a bit easier if you cut a few slots across the ball housing first as in pic on right. It also means the housing can be thicker and the ball less likely to escape.

Mark
                  Maybe a silly question but.... why the two screws and relief?

Comment

Farmer Joe
                    Just an adjustment for the thread I guess. I copied it from one posted over on PM (here.).
                    An interesting execise in filing but I wouldn't want to make many of them !
                    Mark
                    What you say & what people hear is not always the same thing.
                    www.remark.me.uk

Comment

Wow

Originally posted by old-biker-uk
                      Farmer Joe
                      Just an adjustment for the thread I guess. I copied it from one posted over on PM (here.).
                      An interesting execise in filing but I wouldn't want to make many of them !
                      Mark
                      Mark...Great job on those clamps. Much better than you can buy unless you want to bring cash in a wheel barrow.
                      Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Working...
                      X