drilling a hole through a glass bottle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drilling a hole through a glass bottle

Anyone have experience with drilling through bottom of a glass bottle?

Yes. What size hole and what is the reason for doing so ?

Comment

Brass tubing and abrasive slurry works very well, if a tad slowly.

Comment

Carbide glass drills are available. Get some clay and make a dam around where the hole is going to be. Put a kerosene/oil mix (50-50) inside the dam to make a little "swimming pool". This keeps the drill lubricated and cool. Drill slowly. I've used the brass tube and course valve grinding compound methed before. It takes forever, but it works.

Comment

Diamond points for your Foredom/Dremel work best. The Brass tube and Diamond grit also works great. There are carbide glass drills but masonary bits do just as crappy a job as the glass drills (use the diamond).

I have also drilled holes in glass with a dull drill bit at high speed - it is ugly, it melts through, and can break on you. I do not approve of abusing your tools but it was a McGuyver kludge in an emergency.

You can get the diamond goodies at lapidary shops. The technical name for the tube type drills with Diamond grit is "Coring Bits". The coring bits do a beautiful job and can drill anything including carbide, granite, and gemstones - including Diamonds!

The ladipary stores also have a special compound (such as "Crystalube" - Crystalite Corp.) to enhance the cutting action of the diamond compunds. Water can be used, but harder materials cut better with the "Crystalube".

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 01-05-2002).]

Comment

I swear this is true, I observed from across the shop.

My old boss used to drill holes in glass domes for a local gift shop, they put a hook in the top of them and sold them to display things like grandpa's pocket watch.

He would walk over to drill press, wrap a wrag around glass dome and use, I think a plain solid carbide drill bit. He was a bit crafty, probably had done a little special sharpening on bit. He did several, I never saw him break one.

Some people are lucky.

[This message has been edited by halfnut (edited 01-05-2002).]

Comment

Bet it was a spade bit. He probably sharpened it to scrape more than cut, and ran pretty good speed.

I saw som of those core bits, diamond hole saws they were called where I saw them.

Comment

Oso

Most "glass" drills are spade drills as you say.

The concrete industry as well and oil rigs have always called them coring bits. The roughnecks use the hollow bits for "core" samples of the strata they are drilling through. Concrete finishers use them for conduit passages for piping or electrical services.

Electricians & plumbers "saw" wood or metal not concrete, they have hole saws. A coring bit abrades its way through the material. You could call them a hole saw, but unless they have teeth to cut with, they are not "SAWS".

A screwdriver is not a crowbar or chisel, but it does not stop people from abusing it that way.

Comment

I was thinking of the spade type carbide bits as opposed to the fluted ones. The "spear point" glass drills I have never had good results from.

Agree on the terminology. Where I saw the core bits was at "Horrible Fright", where I went to look at their hoists (and didn't like them).
                  Not surprising to see the wrong term used there, perhaps.

Comment

Don't remember where I read about this,but you're supposed to be able to cut glass with hand shears,if the glass is submerged under water. Might work in drilling too? Sounds kinda farfetched,but I haven't tried it. I did drill a bunch of holes in a ceramic pot with a 1/4in. concrete drill. Diamonds make the prettiest holes!

Comment

I keep telling you guys "Diamonds are a guy's best friend". Of course I prefer mine crushed to a fine dust or plated on tools (yeah!)...

George, that only works if you are GOD!

By the way, did you guys know glass is an extremely viscous fluid? They discovered this by examining stained glass windows on 500 year old churches (read in Scientific American). The glass bulges out at the bottom and the lead has air gaps at the top of the piece of glass where it is thinner.

Comment

So if you want a hole, use a cookie cutter under a weight, then come back in 500 years ;-)

Comment

That ain't actually so. Turns out glass does not flow, but the old glassworkers did put the thick end down as a general rule.

The way the glass was made into sheets caused one side to be thicker. It was blown into a bottle shape, then cut and flattened out. As it was blown, it did not maintain thickness evenly.

Oh, and the LEAD does flow and compress, so it may pull away at the top as it compresses at bottom.

Maybe if once every 10,000 years a swallow flies by with a ribbon in its beak and brushes against the cookie cutter so it turns slightly.............oops, that was for the zen class, sorry :-)

Comment

Oso

Are you trying to tell me scientists were BS ing me? I find that hard to believe - especially if they are not getting paid to do it. You know, like all those MD's who would go on television and tell us smoking was better than oxygen and healthy for us? (and they STILL smoke...)

I had no reason to doubt article - print never lies you know - it came from a respectable source.

What impresses me is that those glass makers you talked about never burnt their lips blowing it, and if they really blew it, why did it still work? Would that be considered lewd behaviour? Zen - is that when those pregnant women breathe and scream at their husbands for "doing that to them"?

And yes, you could cut a hole in glass with a cookie cutter and diamond abrasive - but get something faster than a bird caressing it with a ribbon to turn it - that would take way too long.

Comment

Use a punch ans a BIGhammer, use both hands on hammer, swing hard. You get a nice hole.

Comment

Working...
                              X