Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlueChip
    replied
    Thanks for the replies. Was also wondering about the ability to securly hold end mills with the standard C6 collets? There is some mention on Tony's site about difficulties with milling cutters coming loose???

This forum is great for sharing information!

Thanks,
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    Assuming that Jim/Tony's pictures are the same as your Downham, it's got dovetail ways, so it should be fine for light- to medium milling, assuming the bearings are up to it.

Leave a comment:

• JCHannum
    replied
    It would appear that the downham is an Elliot in disguise. If that is so, it was designed for light milling as well as a jig bore, and should be a good machine. The table looks on the smallside, but if the price is right, I see no problem.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/elliott%20mini%20jig/index.html

Many jig bore machines do not have the table dovetailed and they will not take the forces of milling. Double check to make sure it does have the dovetailed construction as in Tony's description.

Leave a comment:

• BlueChip
    started a topic Downham Mini Jig-Borer for Milling?

Downham Mini Jig-Borer for Milling?

I have an opportunity to purchase a Downham mini jig-borer that I would like to use for light milling in a home workshop. The small size and ruggedness of this machine are attractive. It appears to be similar to a Linley. One guy told me he uses his Linley all the time for milling. But another guy I talked to did not recommend the jig-borer for milling. Wondered what anyone's experience is in using this type of machine, especially for milling?

Thanks,
    Mark
Working...
X