Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice how to make surface grinder

any one know how i make a simple but low budget surface grinder

You dont. You find a used one on craigslist.

Search iKrase's past posts...

Comment

i gota small shop and i need a small surface grinder are small table to versions availabe or do i need to build a bigger shop with a cement floor

Comment

There are a couple companies that have made smaller 6x12 and 4x8 size grinder. One that comes to mind is Sanford. There has been one locally popping on on CL for the past couple months. Like this one:

http://www.plastikosmd.com/Default.a...ntentPageID=53

Even a lot of the B&S and other grinders can be removed from their base and mounted on a bench. I know of someone who has a Chevalier 6x18 and the thing is tiny compared to my 6x18. Everything is in the top half so it could easily come off its sheet metal base and go on a bench.

But... Do you really, really need a surface grinder? They are really messy. Then there are accessories. Form tools, dressers, spin jigs.

Did I mention they are messy? Grit everywhere. I have mine next to my garage door pointing out.

Comment

i think its more of a want then a need, iam getting rather adicted to munching metal and i want to learn more and more and so more and more,

i have my 10x18 lathe and i have my 7x20 mill and i got a bench grinder and a vertical band saw thats wood and metal and i got other tools as well just want to learn more and do better things and bigger things.iam also runing out of room fast so i want to get small version machines that would be usfull to me and that will mount on the benchs as well...

Comment

If its that small of a shop I would avoid anything that blows abrasive dust everywhere. I would focus on getting a better, more rigid mill first. A better machine will give a better finish that may not need to be ground off.

If you have to remove the bench or make it smaller to fit in a machine with a base. You really wont loose much space with a good machine.

How much space do you have to work with?

Comment

Theres a whole bunch at HGRindustrialsurplus in Ohio.

Comment

Guess I should bring up how to test a surface grinder. Many tool dealers will place 5 washers on the vise, 1 at each corner and one in the center and then grind both sides, pull out a mic and say "See, it grinds flat". Well this is BS.

All that this tells you is the table is the same distance from the center of the spindle as it passes under the spindle. The ways on surface grinders are often worn in a banana shape. When you grind the vise it follows this track so the surface of the vise is curved as well.

To check out a surface grinder you will need something flat. A surface plate or a good long parallel (18" or longer). Place the plate or parallel on the table and get it close to true with the table. Put an indicator somewhere on the grinding head. I recommend at least a .0005 reading one. Indicate the surface of the plate or parallel and run the table back and forth along each axis. What you are looking for is a nice, linear movement relative to the distance traveled in the axis, unless of course you managed to get the plate perfectly in line with the ways which should read zero movement. So, lets say at one end of the table the indicator is at zero, other end it reading 5. In the center it should read 2.5, 1/4 the way over should be 1.25, etc. If it does not read linearly than the ways are worn and machine will need to be rebuilt.

The spindle is next. Remove the wheel and hub and turn on the spindle. Should be very quiet if it is direct drive and no vibration. Belt drive will be noisier. Use the indicator to indicate the taper on the spindle shaft. There should be no movement in the indicator as you turn the spindle. If it is belt drive take the belts off and spin the spindle and listen for noise.

If its quiet and no runout than you are good to go. If not figure a absolute minimum of $300 for bearings for the spindle.

Changing spindle bearings is no fun. Must be done in a very clean environment. You will probably need special tools like spanners. If the spindle is an integral motor unit you will need an arbor press as well to get the rotor off as the rotor is on a long taper to hold it to the spindle. The grease needed is a special grease Kluber Isoflex NBU15. About $35 for a tube the size of a small toothpaste tube.

Comment

auctually the mill i have gives me a great finish, i see so many shops on you tube that have the surface grinders and have read about them a bit as well and woundered if its really needed or not but you know its nice to have a tool that can do a specifice job to if i need to and its also somethingnew to learn as well,,

funny i hated school but i love machining and iam pretty good at it and getting better all the time,

Comment

What you dont see is the surface grinder sits unused most of the time. Since I have gotten mine I have barely used it.

Comment

Page 58 of Guy Lautard's "Second - Machinist's Bedside Reader" gives plans for a simple surface grinder.
                      All you need is a motor, arbor, homemade stand, and granite plate.
                      But, with this setup, you will only be able to remove about .001 of material per pass.

Comment

Originally posted by KiddZimaHater
                        Page 58 of Guy Lautard's[B] "But, with this setup, you will only be able to remove about .001 of material per pass.
                        Mine only recommends removing .0014" max. per pass. Finish passes are .0002" or .0001"

Comment

Page 58 of Guy Lautard's "Second - Machinist's Bedside Reader" gives plans for a simple surface grinder.
                          All you need is a motor, arbor, homemade stand, and granite plate.
                          But, with this setup, you will only be able to remove about .001 of material per pass.
                          With Lautard's setup, I think you would be doing good to get 0.0001 per pass. I guess you're talking about his hand setup? Been a long while, but as I recall, he specifically cautions about trying to take any but the smallest cuts.
                          Russ
                          Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

i think its more of a want then a need, iam getting rather adicted to munching metal and i want to learn more and more and so more and more,
                            isn't that the truth, we all share the same affliction. Since its a hobby, there is no requirement to justify with a need....simple want is good enough. That's all a good cave man needs.

do not attempt to make a surface grinder. even if you are the best craftsman in the world, it is just not worth given what they can be had for - and the tolerance required to get good finish are way beyond just about any machine you might try to make. search and read on the subject, you find these thoughts echoed by many experienced guys.

they can produce dust, but I'm a convert from dry to wet grinding and there is no comparison, wet while keep down most of the dust.

I use mine quite a bit, it goes in phases. nice to have, but not a necessity. I do a fair bit of tool making for which it is great and also like to make things out of hot rolled then have them case hardened - in which case it is a necessity....but, is case hardening crucial in a home shop? No. And through scraping or lapping super accurate work can be done without grinding

rather than get bent out shape or try the impossible (make one), let serendipity take over. just like when you buy a new car you all of a sudden see that model everywhere, now that you've declared to yourself you want one, be patient and one will come your way, if you really want it.

Comment

Page 58 of Guy Lautard's[B] ".
                              how much do you expect to remove with a grinder? that set up Lautard describes (while i love most of his stuff) scares me.

Comment

Working...
                              X