Ductile Iron- [email protected]#$ing minimum orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ductile Iron- [email protected]#$ing minimum orders

I am trying to get Versa-Bar to send me some pieces of cast iron but they have a minimum order. Would anybody be willing to combine orders?

This is not an actual sign up thing, I am just probing the waters.

One person said the small peices (1x2.5x6 and smaller) were cutoffs that might be sent as samples but I talked to a different person.

I've purchased $40 (~ 25 lbs) worth of VersaBar from the foundry in Wisconsin. How small of an order were you asking?
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Five pounds.

And their quote seems wrong.

Comment

Depending on what shape, size, and alloy you need, McMaster Carr might have it.

Or try calling a local distributor, and see what they have in stock.

Lodi iron works will sell you a single foot long round billet of GC40 meehanite iron -- but you won't like the price.

I recently ordered a couple of pieces of durabar (versabar never returned my emails), and the ordering process was a pain. Had to go through a distributor. Distributor took several weeks to get around to giving me a quote. They didn't say anything about a minimum order, but I ordered over $600 worth. And I still haven't received the material yet. Good thing I only have to buy iron once every year or two.

The foundries definitely are still living in the brick and mortar world.

Comment

If you can use DuraBar try these folks; http://www.petersonsteel.com/AboutUs.asp
          Len

Comment

Both McMaster Carr & MSC sell continuous-cast iron in both the gray and ductile flavors. I'm sure it's not the cheapest way to buy it, but it's a convenient way to buy small quantities. I can get it overnight from McMaster where I live (SF Bay Area). I think MSC may not stock it in Reno, my closest warehouse, so it takes more time to get here.

Comment

Too big. I need bandsawn parts. For that cost I could just suck on minimum order. Anybody want to pool orders?

Comment

I will second the suggestion about Peterson Steel. They will sell you a 6" piece of DuraBar (wonderful stuff) or a truck load.

I have not had occassion to have them ship to me as I am close enough to pick up but their service has always been spot on.

BTW about your inquiry about pooling an order. It would make it much easier to consider it IF you had your location posted in your message.

Errol Groff
                Errol Groff

New England Model Engineering Society
                http://neme-s.org/

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GroffErrol?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by ikrase
                  Too big. I need bandsawn parts. For that cost I could just suck on minimum order.
                  We keep forgetting that ikrase is still in high school. It sounds like he's on a really tight budget.

What sizes are you looking for? Another option might be Enco, which has some odd cast iron stock sizes, but free shipping.
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

ikrase,

do you need cast iron, ductile iron, or doesn't it matter?

http://www.metalexpress.net has cast iron that you can buy by the inch. 1-1/4 x 3-1/4 x 6 = $13.97 + $5 (handling) + shipping

I am trying to get Versa-Bar to send me some pieces of cast iron but they have a minimum order. Would anybody be willing to combine orders?
                    -Dan S.
                    dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Too big. I need bandsawn parts. For that cost I could just suck on minimum order. Anybody want to pool orders?
                      What sizes do you need? I don't have any cast iron that I know of, but I do have quite a few HR & CR cutoffs I could send you for the postage. I would cut to rough dimensions if needed.

I can guarantee steel, but I might be able to cough up a bit of CI if I know the sizes. I am cleaning up the garage so the wife can use it again before snow and I really don't know what I might have out there.
                      Jim H.

Comment

Cast Iron: Preferably ductile, cleanup to 1x2.3x5 and 2 pcs 1x1.25x2.3, basically.

Comment

I need a piece 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 by 25 inches long for a lathe bed I want to build about $250.00 but I dont have the $250.00
                          Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                          http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                          http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by lane
                            I need a piece 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 by 25 inches long for a lathe bed I want to build about $250.00 but I dont have the $250.00
                            Lane, I'm coming up with 87 lbs for that piece, and I've been paying about $1.35 - $1.50/lb for DuraBar at Lokey Metals in Dallas. Is that $250 price local?

By the way, check your PM...
                            Last edited by lazlo; 10-21-2008, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Curses! Peterson Steel is way too expensive.

Lane: is that ductile or gray? might work something out but you pay shipping...

Maybe.

Comment

Working...
                              X