No announcement yet.

6 inch aluminum oxide grinding wheel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 inch aluminum oxide grinding wheel...

... does anybody make one in a type 50 wheel (metal plate backing)?

Well, somebody does (or did!).....

I've got a nice one on my Delta, so my buddy says "where'd you get that good lookin AO wheel" and I says " oh, I got that from -----" and went totally blank...have gone through every catalog I can find and racked my gray cells and cannot pull it out!

I really thought it had come from Victor, but if it did they dont show it anymore....
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Is this what you want?
      http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVS...00000072576233
      "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Link does not work for me - just comes up with an empty search page.

Do you have a part number? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Highpower
          Link does not work for me - just comes up with an empty search page.

Do you have a part number? Thanks.
          You know what........? After looking again, (part: MSC #: 90852377) it might not be right. It says type 5, 4" wide The catalog (page 867) says 1" wide. I've been half-fast looking for one myself.
          I will call MSC later..........
          "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

No Direct Link but: http://www.kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm

Search on P/N 1-704-368

The online catalog (page 536) shows $21.55 but the site shows $27.55 which seems pretty high. You could call them.

I bought one years ago for the HF carbide grinder from KBC but I don't know if it was this one. The OD was slightly too big for the HF. I just hit the wheel with a diamond point. Others enlarged the clearance in the grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by smiller6912
              You know what........? After looking again, (part: MSC #: 90852377) it might not be right. It says type 5, 4" wide The catalog (page 867) says 1" wide. I've been half-fast looking for one myself.
              I will call MSC later..........
              You know what......? You pointed me to exactly what I was looking for!

It looks like # 99607152 will fit my needs very well. Oddly enough, I searched Norton's web site for an hour and never did see such a wheel listed there. And somehow I missed it completely on MSC's site. So THANK YOU very much!!!

I've been trying to figure out a way to do both HSS and carbide on the same carbide grinder - and just too blind to be able find the AO wheel.

Comment

You know what......? You pointed me to exactly what I was looking for!

It looks like # 99607152 will fit my needs very well. Oddly enough, I searched Norton's web site for an hour and never did see such a wheel listed there. And somehow I missed it completely on MSC's site. So THANK YOU very much!!!

I've been trying to figure out a way to do both HSS and carbide on the same carbide grinder - and just too blind to be able find the AO wheel.
                I'm not sure that we are getting the straight scoop from that page, when I checked the Norton site, that part is a straight hole not a plate mounted. I'm going over to MSC later, I'll check with them to get confirmation.

Comment

Keep looking guys. They're out there. I had a vertical spindle surface grinder that a previous owner had converted to use that type wheel.

I was always able to buy them from the online tool houses.

BTW, in the rare instance an odd ball size grinding wheel is nowhere to be found, you can have them custom made at a surprisingly reasonable price. Pacific Grinding Wheel (or something like that) north of Seattle made wheels for me in the past.

Comment

My wife sells those wheels as a special order item, readily available. Don't know price or delivery time though, She's out for lunch right now.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I'm not sure that we are getting the straight scoop from that page, when I checked the Norton site, that part is a straight hole not a plate mounted. I'm going over to MSC later, I'll check with them to get confirmation.

Well............ The counter help at MSC was not worth the trip, and the guy at Grainger looked at me like I was out of my mind. He said he didn't know what I was talking about... the moron...

It looks like ( http://www.kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm , P/N 1-704-368) this KBC part might be right so I ordered one, I'll check back when I get it.

Comment

I recently purchased the Harbor Freight grinder for carbide and have been looking for an al-ox wheel to put on it for HSS bits. Looked everywhere I could think of MSC, McMaster, internet, etc. and just gave up!

Looks like this may work. Do you want it for HSS or something else. Let us know if it works.

Thanks for the link,
                        Reggie

Comment

The one suggested from KBC above (1-704-368) works and I have seen it recommended on several BBS. Also check out J&L item number 90852377 which is listed as a type 5. The only catch is it has a 1" center hole. If everyting else matches, it should not be too hard to expand that to 1.25"; but it is a better looking wheeel and hardness of I instead of K for theone from KBC . DavidH
                          DH

Comment

Well............ The counter help at MSC was not worth the trip, and the guy at Grainger looked at me like I was out of my mind. He said he didn't know what I was talking about... the moron...

It looks like ( http://www.kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm , P/N 1-704-368) this KBC part might be right so I ordered one, I'll check back when I get it.
                            Thanks - I appreciate that....

p.s.
                            Could you let us know the max RPM for this wheel also when you get it?
                            Last edited by Highpower; 10-26-2008, 08:50 PM.

Comment

...Could you let us know the max RPM for this wheel .....
                              Well, it finally got here..... (5 days in shipping, I don't know what that is all about)....
                              It looks to be correct, dimensionally. I'll install it tonight and let you know. It is a 45 grit with a 3450 max. rpm so, it should be great for roughing..

Comment

Working...
                              X