Cole drill use.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cole drill use.

Used the cole drill I got through a board member today. I wanted to drill and tap a hole in the end of some 2" prop shafting. This will make it much easier to get the coupling on. Coupling is tight and there isn't much room to swing a hammer in the boat! I don't know if this is conventional practice, but works for me.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Trick with the Cole drill is rigid clamping - this was the best I could think of.

After the hole was tapped, threaded a big bolt in, then tightened a nut down on a washer to press the coupling on. This worked very well, but did take me almost all morning to do. I will use it multiple times.

Great post!!! I have one and they are very versatile... Thanks! JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Ya..thanks for posting the pic of your set up! Having a tool is one thing..learning how to use it is another. Especially something as versatile as that!
      Russ
      I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

So how would you rate the level of effort? Did it work well? Did you breeze though the hole like a child through ice cream or did you have to take six breaks to rest, drink water, and change your underpants?
        James Kilroy

Comment

Nice! I gotta get me one of them. I've seen them for years. Always wanted one, but would never get off the cash. Once in a while something shows up that would be SO much easier (or just better) with one, and I think "I sure wish I had gotten one of those". But I make do, and it passes, and I still find I can't justify what they bring. Repeat...
          Russ
          Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

"So how would you rate the level of effort? Did it work well? Did you breeze though the hole like a child through ice cream or did you have to take six breaks to rest, drink water, and change your underpants?"

It did work well, but not ice cream. Most of the work is the setup - The pressure on the drillbit is great, and this can push the "foot" off the workpiece if not clamped very securely.

Comment

Nice job,good use for a Cole.

On a related note,does anyone have a pic of the gear reducer that allows you to use a 3/8" drill in place of armstrong machining?

They,Cole,supposedly sold them as an extra,but I have never seen one.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
              X