Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This site no longer is reachable, VP is bankrupt (or not)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This site no longer is reachable, VP is bankrupt (or not)

or at least a whole lot of folks over at PM are speculating that VP is out of business, have not renewed their website, and all sorts of other stuff.

I have never had any trouble getting on the site, direct, or via the magazine website.

But apparently others have been totally unable to reach the site.

Some have been unable to verify that there even IS such a site as this.... IIRC they could not even trace or ping it.

So clearly there is an issue, somewhere. Could a spam blocker have the web address, eitehr the VP website or a whole wodge of addresses that includes this?

I cannot see that there can be any actual SITE problem if I can get here any time, no matter how many others cannot.

But some problem out on the net has people speculating that the site has been taken down permanently, etc, etc.

Maybe a web guru at VP needs to look into the matter.........?
    Last edited by J Tiers; 10-23-2008, 10:16 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

i just checked and i can get to all of the sites, so someone out there has a problem if they can't.

andy b.
    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

OBVIOUSLY....

But quite a number of folks, even EVAN, who should be able to find it if anyone can, claim they can't even trace to it.

So, despite the fact there is nothing really wrong at the site, there may be a different problem which the VP folks might possibly be interested in.

Like maybe Blacklisting of their provider by several spam services..... And if you think that isn't possible, AOL is blacklisted , at least for some of their servers by unsubscore

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Hm. News to me. I just got an eMail from Craig regarding intrest from another publisher for some of my stuff and he made no mention of troubles at VP.

Just had a look around Google. Village Press websites and link are all still active. Is this one of those "Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggetated" things?
        Last edited by Forrest Addy; 10-23-2008, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Perhaps the mailbox is full of all Evans posts....................

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
            or at least a whole lot of folks over at PM are speculating that VP is out of business, have not renewed their website, and all sorts of other stuff.
            "whole lot of folks" ??? Unless Evan is replicating himself, I thought it was just him and even that seemed to be with tongue in cheek. J, are you in "stirring up a hornets nest" mood or what ?

Comment

I had problems getting on once two days ago about noon Pacific time. I tried every avenue I could think of to no avail. I tried an hour later everything was back to normal, been good ever since. I was surprised no one mentioned it here, especially after reading about it on the PM site.
              I just passed it off as an anomaly as it hasn't happened before or since.
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

And I thought it was just me? I have been having trouble for the past couple weeks getting on this site. Get a Error message saying Can't connect to the site. Not all the time, just about a third of the time. I thought that there was maybe too many trying to get on. Sounds like something has changed or gone wrong.
                Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

Comment

Nah, this site no longer exists.

Jim W.

Comment

I've had no problems getting to this site over the last week.

It sounds like Evan's internet provider might be having problems propagating DNS information.
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Chaos

Some while ago many of us in OZ and NZ could not get Evan's server/computer without a "work-around". As I recall, that seemed to be resolved about the time Evan did some work on his computer/s. Evan remarked on it as well. So far as I know that problem has been resolved but the cause of it has not.

I have had no problem at all logging onto this/VP HSM forum site. It has "gone down" for a while on a couple of occassins but it was "back up" soon enough.

Perhaps someone on PM did have a problem and remarked upon it. Perhaps others (there) might have as well.

Given that some at PM may not like those of us on this forum or the VP web site because of it, they might have "added" a bit of "wishful thinking" as "tongue-in-cheek" comment and perhapsd it went on from there with perhaps with more "bits" added.

Perhaps the "rumour mill" acting as a "butterfly in the amazon" ("Chaos theory"?) is alive and flourishing.

Next it will be "Gospel" or "Holy Writ".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_Theory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_Effect

It can get more than chaotic enough on this (VP HSM) forum at times without going to (or from?) PM.

Chaos rules!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Milacron of PM
                        "whole lot of folks" ??? Unless Evan is replicating himself, I thought it was just him and even that seemed to be with tongue in cheek. J, are you in "stirring up a hornets nest" mood or what ?

The PracticalMachinist thread is hilarious:

Do you really miss the endless discussions on which Chi Com lathe is the best or riviting tales of how a member turned an ordinary electric pencil sharpener into a precision high speed id grinding spindle?

I go to HSM when I have questions about my mini-lathe. I come here for everything else.
                        Last edited by lazlo; 10-23-2008, 08:42 PM.
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                          Given that some at PM may not like those of us on this forum or the VP web site because of it, they might have "added" a bit of "wishful thinking" as "tongue-in-cheek" comment and perhapsd it went on from there with perhaps with more "bits" added.
                          Given that the comment in question concerning VP business troubles (that I presumed was mostly in jest) came from the undisputed King of this site, your comment makes no sense. Not sure who the mysterious "they" are.

Comment

I am also on the west cost and access to this site has been hit and miss
                            this week. basically get no such domain or something similar.
                            could have just been a regional problem
                            --
                            Tom C
                            ... nice weather eh?

Comment

Milacron's post was after mine - as was lazlo's.

I read lazlo's post and checked the link to PM.

So, I was not ware at the time that I typed my previous post that Evan was discussing the problem as he did on PM.

In that context, and to that extent, my comment quoted in Milacron's post remains extant:

Originally posted by oldtiffie

Comment

Working...
                              X