X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 years of Model Engineer

For 4.99 UKP or $8.23

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=180302601018

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

I'd be happy to oblige you with a bid if I didn't have to cross the collect to collect! That would keep me in reading material for at least a year solid!
    James Kilroy

Comment

With there being 2,119 issues I think you will have more than a years worth of reading
      That's 5.8 magazines per day.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Wow!

I'd love to get my hands on that magazine collection, but I would have to travel by car to the UK to get them, not likely now.

Thomas

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back
        - Piet Hein

Comment

Sir John, you should acquire them and then supply a convenient CD version to go along with you other wonderful CD's.

Cheers,

BW
          ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
          Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
          http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
            With there being 2,119 issues I think you will have more than a years worth of reading
            That's 5.8 magazines per day.

The US Patent office issues a summary of all patents granted each week called the Official Gazette. Each issue is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. I once owned every copy of Official Gazette from about 1922 to 1992... that's 70 years worth...or nearly 4,000 copies.

I got them all at once...they were offered to NC State library...they didn't want them, knew I was looking for "some"...and offered them to me for free if I paid the trucking. I didn't expect the sheer volume and weight of these things however...probably 10 pallets with boxes stacked 4 feet high...we're talking forklifts and loading docks here...

I had an idea of thumbing thru a few of them per week and looking for interesting ideas and patents that were valid but never went to market, that sort of thing. After a few years of this we decided to move 300 miles and the move was so daunting as it was I decided to sell anything I could to make it less so and the Offical Gazettes were sold on eBay to an antique dealer who intended to sell them individually !!

Comment

well unlike patents that are a bitch to read, just what happens when the lairs i mean lawyers get a hold of them, ME is beautiful to read. I keep telling people that the best way to accelerate learning is these and our benefactors magazines because instead just getting the theory like a text book (which is also good) you get a blow by blow account of how to make things. even if you never build the thing, getting the how-to perspective of someone else who is experienced is so valuable. I've been at this 15 years now and have almost that complete an ME collection as well as Live Steam and HSM. I also have a lot of ME's from 30's, and I still love grabbing copies to read and learn as i head into my office....still missing most of the 40's though. I'm a seller of duplicates right now so extolling the virtues of them is i suppose in conflicted self interest, that notwithstanding, the claims are true! The learning doesn't stop either, as i find if a read an issue years after i first read it, the increased sophistication the ensuring years provides lets more points register that went over my head the first time
              Mcgyver
              Last edited by Mcgyver; 10-30-2008, 09:09 PM.
              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by BobWarfield
                Sir John, you should acquire them and then supply a convenient CD version to go along with you other wonderful CD's.

Cheers,

BW
                Bob, John is the one selling them

Peter

Comment

Someone got a good deal, £72 or about $116.00 for the whole set.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                    Someone got a good deal, £72 or about $116.00 for the whole set.
                    I had a token (snipe) bid of 70 quid set up, would have been more but I really haven't got anywhere to put them & already have some of the later ones.

Tim

Comment

I was fortunate enough to be given a large quantity of these magazines for nothing no disrespect to my pal John however I found them to be very biased towards steam which I know nor care little about, so at least I havent paid more than about £40 in ferry fare and petrol to collect them. I will give them away to my pal Fred for nothing as he is a steam buff thanks for the post your lardship oh no thats me isnt itAlistair
                      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
                      X