My foundry failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My foundry failed

I don't know what happened but it didn't work. Maybe i set it up wrong. Well anyway i will get it resolved. I will talk with you guys later. My sister is complaining that i am not cleaning the house.
    Does anyone actually read siglines?

Check out the following URL
    "http;//www.backyardmetalcasting.com/"
    I think you will find it useful.
    Yankee1

Comment

Just what went wrong Shed? Did the fire not light? ...the metal not melt? ..the sand shift? .poor pattern? ...er what?

Comment

God I hate the word failed. You didn't accomplish what you were trying to do, but when you get done helping sis clean the house you'll be back at it. You gained valuable knowledge about what doesn't work. Don't get diecouraged. Some times things take at least a couple of times to work the bugs out. In my case sometimes dozens of times. As lynnl asks, what happened? Fill us in.
        Matt

Comment

I agree with techtchr, sometimes it takes a number of attempts. Pull back a bit, look it over, do some reading and try it again with the extra knowledge and insights you pick up.
          457863656C73696F7220212000

Comment

I agree that learning has two side. Knowing what works and what doesn't. Both are important and useful in progressing to find the answer to what works best.

Let us know what went wrong so we can learn also.

Joe

Comment

Matt's right. The only 'failure' is when you fail to even try.

Comment

I know for a fact that it was too windy.

I also know i am going to try next time i get some charcoal. I think i know how to solve the other problem (Air) and i will have molten metal.

I would like you guys to know i am very appreciative of all of the help you have given me. And i hope you don't try and treat me like a child if you are. ( I can't tell! )

------------------
                "A person who works with his hands is a laborer.

A person who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.

A person who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist"

—Louis Nizer

Comment

Can't, fail is 4 letter words.

I cast silver jewerly for 3 months before the wax carvings came out of mold in one piece.

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 07-17-2003).]

Comment

Shed
                    I don't know if anyone has told you this, but do not even try to melt metal unless you have a heavy layer of dry sand covering the floor! The hotter the melt, the more critical this is - concrete can explode if molten Aluminum or Iron is dropped on it.

You also need appropriate safety gear.

Safety first!

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 07-17-2003).]

Comment

Shed
                      Don't let one failure discourage you. When I first started, I had several so called failures. I started with charcoal as well and now use natural gas. I still use the same old canister vacuum cleaner for a blower, choked down at the input. Like Thrud said, don't work over concrete. Before you take your crucible out of the furnace, go thru the motions and be sure everything is ready. You don't want to trip over something while carrying hot metal. Be very careful. Good luck. You can e- mail me if I can answer any questions.

Comment

Shed, I don't know where you are located but if you can manage it you may want to consider attending the Estevan Model Engineering Show this fall. There are a couple of really great guys from Edmonton that put on a sand casting workshop on Saturday. I highly recommend it.
                        For more info contact Kelly at [email protected]
                        To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Thrud actually speaks the truth. For a wild pink gorilla looking Canuck, I kinda like him.

You should learn, consider the saftey of any project from all perspectives. I have all my fingers on my hands, but quite a few scars.

Dry Sand will capture molten metal, with concrete it explodes. Molds seperate and rivers of molten metal escapes. Shoes can catch it.

Recently I got a fireball from my mig down on some tennis shoes. They turned out to be Some kind of poly fabric that flamed up like gasoline. I had 18" tall flames coming off my right foot.

I have some martial arts experience, I was kicking my foot about 70 miles per hour back and forth waist high. It is a good thing it went out.
                          That was exciting, I am way too old for that kind of fun. But it makes you think. Molten metal will set things close on fire via radiant heat.

Comment

No effort can really be called a failure if it succeeds in teaching you something valuable. Now it is up to you to find out why it didn't work and learn that valuable thing. If you don't do that, then yes, it would be a failure.

Spence

Was it a lack of fuel, or a lack of air? Certainly with enough of both you will see some high temperatures. What are you using as a blower?

Comment

I did not have a very good blower so i am building one soon. the charcoal kept going out anyway. I would like to embark on charcoal making and waste oil furnaces sometime soon, because they all come together to form the art of metalworking.
                              and i won't have to spend my money on charcoal!

------------------
                              "A person who works with his hands is a laborer.

A person who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.

A person who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist"

—Louis Nizer

Comment

Working...
                              X