Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT/ What are metal eye glass frames made from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT/ What are metal eye glass frames made from?

Really??? I ummm...broke my damm welding glasses yesterday. Pulled off my resperator and the strap caught them...flinging them across the floor and the frame snpped in a weird place. About halfway around the frame. Very skinny there. I'm thinking I can't tig them cuz i can't see without them.
    What do they use to fix these? It's Sunday and I need them to finish a job
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

I glued mine, wrapped the broken part with tape. When I was done I took them in for replacement. They took the lenses out and mounted them in a new frame for about $60
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

I don't have that option...they tell me these lenses are so old that they can't get frames for them. I think it's just a scam so they can sell me more glasses.
      I have another pair that broke...three years old and they can't get frames for them. They're still broke also.
      Glue huh? Being as how they are buggered anyway...maybe I'll just do that. Glue the frame to the lens... wrap her up with duct tape.. all the wimmin would want me

Comment

broke the ear off where the screw is holding the frame around the lense. . . i used a bread twisty tie (really thin wire hiding under that colored paper) and they have been ok for at least 3 months. .

add iron where needed to stiffen the frame, add super glue.

good luck.

and working on sunday ? you must be one of those rich self employed guys

Comment

LOL! I wish I was rich...doing the "Job from Hell" ...mounting an old style Meyers snowplow on a newer truck. I'm way past makin any money on this one. It's turned into "Doing a favour for a friend" now.
          But I can't see to finish the damm thing now. Four billion wires and plastic everything. Not a fun thing to try to weld on. Lotta fires. All the plastic coated chinese metal...

Comment

David...great minds think alike...or something like that. I was thinking of JB welding a piece of mig wire to the outside for extra support

Comment

Little piece of tubing. Stuff the ends in and epoxy. Break the other side and do the same so they match.

Lots of frames these days are made from a titanium alloy. Maybe they can be spot welded. Not sure if anything else works. Frames these days stink. They only stock them as-is. Need a different length earpiece or wider nose, can't get them. Not modular like they used to be. Need parts for a frame only a year old, good luck. Want frames that are not wide and skinny because you have bifocals, nope. Except for aviator style.

I save my old frames now. Last couple prescriptions, I've re-used old frames. Have to wait for the round ones to come back into style.

Comment

Yah, that titanium.... I think it's a scam.

If not, then why do my "titanium" frames cause exactly the same irritation to my skin that stainless does (nickel content) where the coating has worn off?

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

I have silver soldered broken frames in the past. Tried electrical wire solder which worked for a while then went to good silver solder---the $80 per lb stuff held for long enough til I replaced them several years later.

mark61

Comment

But then I got thinkin... what kind of a tig weldor would I be not to try it..
                    I'll let you know...

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                      Yah, that titanium.... I think it's a scam.

If not, then why do my "titanium" frames cause exactly the same irritation to my skin that stainless does (nickel content) where the coating has worn off?
                      That's because it's a shape-memory alloy. Same family as Nitinol. Nickle/titanium. Lets you bend it while hot. Takes a set when cool and stays springy. I don't see much advantage with it, other than costing more. My old stainless frames held up just fine. I don't know what they recommend these days if you have a nickel allergy. I think all the metal frames have nickel.

Comment

LOL! Don't try to tig your glasses back together. I don't know what this stuff is ...but it goes "Poof"!!! And the heat makes some of the other joints fly apart. Anyone need some spare glass parts? Nuff said..

Comment

OT Reply: Glasses for Shop Use

For most of my life, I believed that you really needed the exact prescriptions derived by the eye doctor with their magic routines with fancy machines and special drops. Now, my eyes are getting worse in terms of being able to focus on different distances and actually better at a distance (I am legally licensed to drive without glasses for the first time).

I made special requests of my eye doctor about vision at the distance that a computer screen is normally at. This is very similar to the distances of work in my shop. All to no avail. I got bi-focals that functioned just like the previous pair: OK up close for reading and not even as good as no glasses for driving.

I went to Wal-Mart and tried on the reading glasses in their pharmacy deptartment. I tried to find lenses that worked best at the distances I needed for computers and shop work. The reading glasses range from under $10 to about $20 so I now have several pairs. I keep selected pairs by my computer at home, at work, and in the shop. I just leave them where I use them. You can have a half dozen pairs for less than one visit to the eye doctor and optician.

By all means, do get the prescription lenses too, but don't feel you have to use them religiously. I have been doing this for over a year with no bad effects.
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

Make it fit.
                          You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore
                            I went to Wal-Mart and tried on the reading glasses in their pharmacy deptartment. I tried to find lenses that worked best at the distances I needed for computers and shop work. The reading glasses range from under $10 to about $20 so I now have several pairs. I keep selected pairs by my computer at home, at work, and in the shop. I just leave them where I use them. You can have a half dozen pairs for less than one visit to the eye doctor and optician.

By all means, do get the prescription lenses too, but don't feel you have to use them religiously. I have been doing this for over a year with no bad effects.
                            Russ...I do the same as Paul. I need trifocals. Almost no magnification for distance but for computer and reading I need two different ones. That leaves me with a very narrow vertical field of vision so I now have local pharamcy single vision cheapies sitting at my computer and others in my shop. None of them over 15$. Just go in and try a bunch out at the distance you will be working at.
                            Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Hey, Paul just gave me an idea...run down to some of the local stores that carry the "dollar store" glasses, and your done!

Edited to add: Damn, Ernie beat me to it by a second.
                              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Working...
                              X