Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A strange injury..

Well I think so..
    I froze the last inch of my right index finger. It's sore as hell now. I can't touch anything with it as I get a screechin pain shooting up my arm. Very handy
    This was so stupid...
    I welded up a cracked diesel fuel tank for a guy. Finished it late. I wanted to prime it for him so he could paint it the next day.
    Didn't want to fool around with washing guns etc that time of the night so i used a rattle can to spray some primer on it. It took more than I thought. The nozzle on the new can wasn't spraying right and the paint was hittin my finger tip.
    It was pretty cold out when i was painting this and I didn't notice that my finger tip was slowly freezing. You can't feel this you know.... my hands where really cold already.
    After I was done I cleaned the paint off my fingers with thinner and noticed the lack of feeling in the my finger. Thought it was just from pressing down on the nozzle so hard.
    An hour later I found out why...the frost started coming out and oh man! Did it burn. Got a funny looking black spot now...and a damn sore finger.
    Who'da thunk
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Originally posted by torker
    Well I think so..
    I froze the last inch of my right index finger. It's sore as hell now. I can't touch anything with it as I get a screechin pain shooting up my arm. Very handy
    This was so stupid...
    I welded up a cracked diesel fuel tank for a guy. Finished it late. I wanted to prime it for him so he could paint it the next day.
    Didn't want to fool around with washing guns etc that time of the night so i used a rattle can to spray some primer on it. It took more than I thought. The nozzle on the new can wasn't spraying right and the paint was hittin my finger tip.
    It was pretty cold out when i was painting this and I didn't notice that my finger tip was slowly freezing. You can't feel this you know.... my hands where really cold already.
    After I was done I cleaned the paint off my fingers with thinner and noticed the lack of feeling in the my finger. Thought it was just from pressing down on the nozzle so hard.
    An hour later I found out why...the frost started coming out and oh man! Did it burn. Got a funny looking black spot now...and a damn sore finger.
    Who'da thunk
    Russ
    Russ
    thats hurting I know that from my own mistake. Russ that black spot on your finger is dead meat ,my advice, take a trip to your local medicineman.

Regards
    CS

Comment

Yeah, what CS said -- you gave yourself frost-bite

You really need to get that looked at Russ...
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Put a bunch of leaches on the dark spot (or some kind of vacuum apparatus) -- Im serious, you need to get new blood to the area fast or its all gone...

You could be looking at GG if your not careful.
        Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 11-07-2008, 09:34 AM.

Comment

OWW

Glad I am living in a area where we almost never see that white stuff. Doctor for sure.

Bob

Comment

As a victim of frostbite in the 70s.. I can tell you it will never be much better, but without proper immediate treatment it might be amputated..

Freezing destroys capillaries and vessels in the skin. Soaking them immdiately in Warm water, not hot.. will start blood flow as soon as possible.. It hurts like heck.. then the froze part swells up and gets ugly red like a burn..

I still have trouble, I can not feel as much with my fingers as I did before.. nor since.. probably never more..

Mine was chasing my "woman" driving my hotrod with my gloves on the dash, she thought it was cute to OUTRUN me.. I was trying to catch her cause my hands were so cold they were quitting working on the controls of the bike.
            Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

A Strange Injury

Russ, you have severe frostbite.
              I may be a Limey Bastard but you had a low temperature and then the can of paint had the further Latent Heat of Evaporation.

You must now seek immediate medical attention.

Have you ever heard of Gangrene?

Norm

Comment

As others have said get your butt to the ER now.
                -Dan S.
                dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Amphibians can freeze, mammals cannot. The cells in our body, when they freeze, they burst, they can not let the water out of them quick enough like an Amphibian can. This whole business about freezing ones self to be revived later in life is a bunch of bull**** unless they have a way of turning frozen cellular goo back into a structured cellular organism.
                  Your finger tip is that cellular goo.

Comment

Russ. Hope you have been to the sawbones already that sounds serious. Presume it's the index finger on your right hand, the most used and needed. Let us know how you get on. Peter
                    The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

The bummer part is that the paint probably won't adhere worth a flip at that low a temperature.

Hope you haven't hurt yourself too badly.

Roger
                      Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

https://www.purdue.edu/push/pages/mo...rostbite.shtml

Hopefully the blackened area is small enough that a simple graft will be the worst of it.

Comment

Fingertips have the ability to regenerate even in adults. But, only if the dead tissue is removed to allow the new tissue to form. They will use dermabrasion to grind off the dead meat and new tissue will take it's place. I have a friend that sliced off about half an inch of the tip of his finger and it all grew back with that treatment.

See your doctor ASAP.
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

If the finger tip must be amputated (hope not), sprinkle some pigs bladder extract on the end of the finger, at will grow back soon.

Red more here.

You do have pigs bladder extract lying around, dontcha?

Thomas

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back
                            - Piet Hein

Comment

a Strange Injury

Old English song- for Thomas?

'You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses

And the little pig got up and slowly walked away.

Comment

Working...
                              X