Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sheldon lathe

hi guys,

hey i have a sheldon 12x48, wondering if anyone has some info on this. its older probably a 1955 with the u drive (4speed w/back gear =8speeds)im restoring it so it can make chips again, with a little extra flair. im removing the pulley drive system and going to a variable frequency drive. (i got the lathe for free, and its missing the motor pulley and the jackshaft pulley.) so if anyone has any pointers on this let me know.
    extreme tractor racing

Steve

National Acme is now the owner of the sheldon name. You may be able to get a parts book for your lathe if you have the model and serial numbers. The prices of parts from national acme are way beyond outrageous.

Chris

Comment

I don't believe Sheldon made a 12" lathe. 10" and 13" in that series, but no 12'.
      I have a 13" and manuals, what information do you need?
      Jim H.

Comment

Hey Steve,
        I in the process of rebuilding a 13" Sheldon with the underdrive. My was build in 1972 and I think that Sheldon closed about that time. I have the emails of a couple of other guys that are working on their Sheldons and I can provide you their emails. Also check out the Sheldon group on Yahoo. Email any time about your lathe.
        Dan

Comment

Hey guys,

Also have a 13" sheldon and was wondering about the follower rest that I don't have. It appears it mounts on the right side of the carriage. Does anyone know if it is straight or does it have an offset to the left. I've never seen one for this lathe and was wondering what it looked like. Thought about trying to make one, if I ever get "aroundtuit".

Chris

Comment

I don't have one for mine, I adapted another to fit. From the photos in the catalog, it offsets to the left an inch or two.
            Jim H.

Comment

well i have a direction im going now with the sheldon. the stock "u"drive four speed pulley setup, is getting yanked. the pulleys that im missing are not stock, aftermarket are too wide, so on to another option.
              i have a hitachi variable frequency drive coming. i also got two timing pulleys (cog drive belt) at a 2:1 ratio. this will bring my motor down to the range i need. motor will be mounted under a mounting plate, jack shaft and cog pulley will be over, then two 5vx belts connected to the spindle. (the motor and jackshaft will move together, as they are affixed to the same plate, tensioning the spindle drive belts when jacked away from the spindle. so im kind of excited, because this vfd will add some nice features to this machine. i have to make a new gear for this lathe too. this ought to be fun. ive never made a gear yet., so i guess there is no time like the present to start. im going to try doing it with a hss bit,ground with the appropriate involute, and a 90' flycutter.
              extreme tractor racing

Comment

JCHannum

Thanks for the info on the follower rest, does it help cut down chatter on thin workpieces?

Steve

I have the E-drive on my lathe and believe you're going the right way with the VFD, changing those belts is a PITA. One of these days I'm going to do the VFD also.

Chris

Comment

A follow rest will give support to long thin items. It can help with chatter. Chatter though most often is a result of improper tool geometry for the material being machined.
                  I also have the E drive and a VFD. I can't remember how to change belts.
                  Jim H.

Comment

chris,
                    im going to have my vfd tomorrow. i started making the plate and jack shaft. ill keep you posted. the vfd im using has some nice features, but not so much that it could power the space shuttle. it cost $318 with shipping. ill let you know how it works when i get it.
                    extreme tractor racing

Comment

hey, i got this thing making chips kinda,ha!
                      we have been talking about steady and follower rests for the sheldon, does anyone have any pics of these for the sake of influencing design of a home built one?

v.f.d. is pretty slick.
                      extreme tractor racing

Comment

http://www.productiveworkspace.com/Sherline/1090pg.html

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ProductID=1198

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Here is a home built steady rest that I built when I was green.

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/06...N/83d601aa.jpg

[This message has been edited by G.A. Ewen (edited 07-25-2003).]
                          To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

G.A.

Edit: looks like it is case sensitive.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 07-25-2003).]
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Thanks again Evan.
                              To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Working...
                              X