Music?( loosely related to machining)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music?( loosely related to machining)

In order for me to better understand my fellow brethern on this bbs,I was wondering what kind of music all of us listen to,and what kind during which activites?

I range from Beethoven's moonlight to ZZtop,classical when reading and rock when welding/driving,howbout you guys?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I don't like rap, or heavy metal. Other than that, I listen to all of it. Sometimes nothing beats good old rock and roll, sometimes I like to listen to folk music. I can sit and play a rock song, then a folk song, then some classical, then a hard driving rock tune, it doesn't matter. I quite often listen to the radio when I'm in the workshop since I don't have to attend to it. If I hear a song I like, I'll maybe stop and listen to it, but then it's back to the project, and the music is not playing loud enough to hear when a machine is running. I'm listening to Gordon Lightfoot as I type this.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I love music but for all my life it distracted me from what I was supposed to be doing and made me resentful of the machinery noise. I'm flakey enough without it. My shop is devoted to munic OR makin' stuff.

To add major insult, my hearing is going to pot and I can no longer enjoy music as I used to. Mozart and mellow country still wears well but R&R and anything with heavy percussion is torture. And it has to be within a certain volume or either I can't hear it well or the loud passages sound gritty and gravely.

I can't even sing for real unless I'm in line of sight of my accompanist. I hate it. I want my high accuity precision hearing back.

Silent Shop. Like Rachel Carlson's Silent Spring.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 07-24-2003).]

Comment

Van Halen, Bad Company, Jim Croce, simon and garfunkel, Extreme, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Eagles, Guardian, Skillet......Anything that's in tune, in key and in time......I've was a full time musician for 12 years, Now I'm a millwright, welder and a firm believer in that music DOES make the world go around......after hearing three big bad biker dudes singing Eagles tunes at a house party at 4:00 a.m. and jamming at the southern Alberta Tusker bike rally how could I not believe!!!!!!

Comment

Classical music, Country and Western if it is the good old stuff and piano music of all kinds. Especially ragtime. Used to go to the Old Time Piano Playing Contest in Decatur, Illinois on Memorial Day weekends.

Comment

The crisp bacon frying sound of a perfectly working parting tool is music to my ears.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I like quiet.
              I don't like any kind of music and never did.
              Really.
              Is that weird or what?
              Tom M.

Comment

a-men
                wierdscience, you,re wierd.
                Right wing radio for me.
                mite

Comment

Richard Thompson to The Ramones to Hank Sr to both Elvis's to Dylan to the Blasters to NRBQ to Ry Cooter to Vivaldi. Always have something going.

Comment

I have to have my music, or it doesn't "seem" right in there. Also, for those really creative days, I need something loud to drown out my overactive, overspilling subconscious so I can concentrate on the task at hand, and not be distracted on other ideas, notepads, research books or whiteboards.

I have a laptop and an older desktop networked with the house PCs, through which I run a metric boatload of MP3s (largely copied from CDs I own, in case you're wondering) through an old Sanyo receiver/amplifier which in turn runs six speakers.

Some days it's a quiet bit of Mozart's Requiem, though the usual fare is current Chevelle, Disturbed, Drowning Pool, POD, Papa Roach, Tool and KMFDM. For those heavy days- that sounds like a commercial- it'll be up loud enough the aluminum in the stockracks buzzes and the door on the Logan cabinet claps.

That's not bragging- it's what I have to do otherwise it's hard for me to concentrate on just one project.

Doc.
                    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Doc- Sounds like ADD to me.

Comment

We have a radio playing in the background in the shop all the time.
                        When I am out there it usually is on a country station.
                        When the other half is out there it gets switched to jazz.
                        It's kind of hard to listen to when you have earplugs in and are running a punch press. Actually, you can't hear it with any machine running.

Les

Comment

My shop is never without music. Best therapy in the world to calm and promote consentration. My choice is Meat Loaf, Paul Simon, Cirque Du Soleil and Andrea Bocelli along with Willey Nelson just to confuse the customers.

Comment

NPR (inteligent talk radio ) during the days, Dave Mathews, James McMurtrey, Paper Boys, and LOTS of Jimmy Buffet!

-Dave

Comment

Don't listen to music while doing stuff like milling and turning. I like to hear what the machines are doing. To relax, I listen to James Taylor, Stones, ZZ top, and I must admit that I like many of my 14 year old daughter's CDs as long as they aren't Rap. My wife and I also play Flute in the community band...really flute, I'm not joking...we sat next to each other in band since the 5th grade 21 years together last thursday. Music with my wife is the best kind Oh yea, band plays mostly classical, pops stuff and marches. Very good community band. We play every Friday in Skaneateles,NY. Come on Down!
                              Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X