brass mig wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brass mig wire

Has anybody tried brazzing with a mig? I found out just recently there is actualy a brass mig wire. Talk about totaly surprised, but I would like to try it. What imersion gas would you use if it is possible. I'm still trying find the wire in this country (Canada). The add I found was in England.

I did a quick Google search for "brass mig brazing", and it turned up quite a bit of info.

Roger
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

I did as winchman suggested and this was one of the sites. I found it very informative.

http://abrn.search-autoparts.com/abr.../detail/518596
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

You might try googling bronze MIG wire since brazing is normally associated with bronze wire. Bronze brazing fillers are often erroneously called brass when they are in fact made from bronze.

Comment

I've done MIG welding/brazing with aluminum bronze MIG wire. This is aluminum bronze welded onto cast iron, and then milled flat. I was trying to see if I could MIG-weld a wear surface onto old iron -- it worked great:

This was with standard C25 gas. It was a little finicky -- you have to get the wire speed just right, and the bronze wire likes a hot voltage. The first couple of tries the wire popped in a poof of green all over the cast iron. I've got the settings written down in my notebook, but it'll be different depending the wire thickness.

By the way, I also took this same Aluminum Bronze MIG wire, twisted it like a twizzle stick, and TIG welded with it.
          Last edited by lazlo; 11-21-2008, 07:40 PM.
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I have used the Harris wire and it does indeed do a good job on cast iron and steel. I practiced on a piece of scrap first but it was really quite easy to do once the settings are dialed in.

Comment

I just used some silicon bronze last night to build up some contacts in a drum switch.

Heres a couple pics of a repair on my cast iron chuck guard mount for the 10ee:

Comment

Do you still have to preheat the cast iron as you would for brazing with an OA torch?

Roger
                Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Silicon bronze mig wire is commonly used for joining galvanized sheetmetal. Less burning of the zinc coating and better finished appearance than steel wire.

Comment

Originally posted by winchman
                    Do you still have to preheat the cast iron as you would for brazing with an OA torch?
                    I didn't preheat, but I did let it cool slowly wrapped inside welding leathers, and there was no cracking from the welding.
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

No preheat here either. With tig brazing you hardly get the metal anywhere near the temp you do with normal forms of mig or tig welding.

Comment

Why do you guys think you have to pre heat with O/A torches...or even tig for that matter. It usually takes so long to heat things up...youi don;t need preheat...especially with O/A.
                        I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Depends on the material and mass of the object being welded.

Cast iron you want to preheat in general in mig or stick as there is a whole lot of heat right now. Tig and oxy-Acet does not bring up the temp anywhere near as fast. At least not normally!

Comment

Obviously preheat would not be required on a small part that will be evenly heated just from the welding/brazing process but on a larger part preheat is necessary in order to keep expansion even. This would be much more important with stick welding but still a good idea with any welding operation.

Comment

brazzing with mig

Great ideas!! I was glad to see this was not a pipe dream. This really exists?
                              Terrific uses. I can see repairing cast gear teeth this way as well. Sounds like the speed is up there with aluminum migging. As far as pre heating goes, I do it with almost every weld I make and over the years I can tell you it does pay. From driving out moisture in rough breaks to clearing combustable contaminents from the repair area. Thanks for the help. Now all I have to do is find some.

Comment

Working...
                              X