Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help...does this look good for a noob?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help...does this look good for a noob?

winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-WTS-vertical-milling-machine-220-volt-type-fm-vo-b-W0QQAdIdZ87513690

What questions should I ask? Is this a decent mill for the price? It's close to me and in my price range. I don't intend to use it daily, but I want something decent to get my feet wet. Many thanks in advance for all the knowledgable input here!
    Last edited by 66glide; 11-23-2008, 09:12 PM.

OK, clearly I am incapable of posting a proper link. If you google kijiji for Winnipeg, I'm hoping someone will look at this mill and help me out. Thanks.

Comment

WTS vertical milling machine, 220 volt, type fm - vo - b ...
      Location: Winnipeg Date Listed: 13-Nov-08. this is a vertical milling machine, its in good condition. i have purchased a larger unit and have no more need ...
      winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-WTS-vertical-milling-machine-220-volt-type-fm-vo-b-W0QQAdIdZ87513690

Nope.
      Last edited by 66glide; 11-23-2008, 09:20 PM.

Comment

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...QAdIdZ87513690

It appears to be a clone of the Clausing milling machine similar to this one from Grizzly;

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Wood...lworking/G9959

It is about half the cost of new, and if in reasonably good condition, it is not a bad buy. The easiest way to check it out is to try it under power and see how it works.
        Jim H.

Comment

Thanks for helping with the link, and thanks for the opinion and description. I'm gonna look at it tomorrow night. Kinda tough, cause I know so little....I'm a diesel and auto mechanic, not a machinist...but I sure like to learn new things!

Comment

Yes, that is indeed a clone of the Clausing, generally referred to as the "6x26". Its a dandy little mill for a beginner,with getting the benefit of a knee a real plus,

That price is not especially a bargain as its close to the cost of new-
            http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...ine_WT_Import_
            If he should have a nice collection of goodies to go with it, it would help tremendously, but with him having only gone to a larger mill, I'd bet he will have the bare minimums with it. And with you just starting out, you'll need almost the cost of the mill to 'outfit' it -- its pretty useless without the tools.

You might visit over at the yahoo group dedicated to this mill --
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/6x26millingmachines/
            If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Guys...he's from Canada eh! I'm bettin that mill is under half price of new.
              I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

LOL.......as soon as you cross the border double the price of everything. That said it appears to be a small good stout manual machine, likely excellent for the beginner, if it checks out OK I'd go for it.........if he's gone to a bigger machine and the spindle is different get as much tooling as he has, or use it as leverage for bargaining, start at 1K or 1200.......
                Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Thanks to all....I'll look and report. Yes, I'd like to get some tooling with it if possible.

Comment

Hi. The 6x26 and 8x30 mills look similar from the column up but they have different base stands.

This one appears to be the larger machine as it has the cast iron base cabinet. I have a KBC VM-22 which is the same as the one you are looking at (going to). The one big advantage of this machine other than the slightly larger table is that it has about 20" of clearance between spindle and table vs 12" for the 6x26 machine. Busy Bee also sells this machine (B048)

Put it this way, I am very happy with my machine - got it into the basement after taking it apart and it does the job for me.

Good luck.

Geoff

Comment

Ammocoman has a very good point here --- if it is indeed the machine he is describing then the price becomes MUCH more attractive. If memory serves me, the specs,- aside from those Geoff gave- on the table are 8x30.
                      If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Yes, I called him and the table is 8" by 30"!! Thanks, folks...I'm very happy for the help. I'll probably buy it if it ain't sold!

Comment

Assuming it hasn't been flogged, it should be a good machine for a home shop.
                          Price seems reasonable to me, especially if you can get some tooling with it. Since the seller has just bought another mill, however, he'll probably keep the tooling. I wouldn't let that be a deal-breaker though.
                          ----------
                          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Well, I bought it. Paid his price, but he did throw in a few end mills. Now the search for more tooling begins. BTW, this machine is stamped with the make "Friendly Machine Corporation". It is made in Taiwan. Seems to be reasonably well made and heavy. Any input on that? I googled it with nothing turning up.

Comment

Congratulations!!! You will love it. A mill opens up a whole new world. I have a vertical mill that is pretty old and noisey but it beats nothin! Great acquisition. Becareful moving it they are top heavy. We had three guys and rolled it on cast iron pipe into the back of a pickup truck tilted it in and unloaded the same way. Thank God no steps. Good Luck! Fred

Comment

Working...
                              X