Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12x36 lathe, anyone else want to chuck the foot brake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12x36 lathe, anyone else want to chuck the foot brake?

Like most similar lathes, the PM1236 I just received has a big footbrake pedal between the left and right support cabinets.

I'm not sure of its actual utility except to satisfy OSHA, but in any case I want that space for storage drawers.

Anyone think it would be a mistake?

In the production workplace they are a good thing as it stops the operator using their hand to slow the chuck, I have alwys found the brake useful although my chinese heap dosent have one I now have the time to spare waiting for it to stop turning!!

Peter
    I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

Is this it?

Just so I know what the subject lathe is, I "went looking". I presume that this is it?

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1236.html

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...e+Search&meta=

Comment

Keep it...you never know...
        I've used mine a few times for panic stops. Once when I was teaching the gurl...she got in big trouble..I couldn't reach the stop lever so just stomped the foot bar.
        Another time I had some really ugly stringy swarf sneak out from behind the toolpost and it got all wrapped around right where I'd have to reach for the stop lever. This was at 1200 rpm...no time to diddle around. The foot bar was the quickest way to stop it safely.
        I don't even notice the one on mine anymore.
        Russ
        I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

i dont have a foot brake on my chinese machine either and really would not want one , now a power cut off switch would be usfull as a foot pedal thingy and in future my lathe and my mill will get one on each but first i need a bigger shop ..

now if i had a machine that had the brake in question then id leave it alone if it aint broke do fix it and if it was there before it has a reason and a purpose and id leave it alone and live with it, iam not much on saftys at the best of times but sometimes there a good idea ,,

Comment

"E" stop

Airsmith,

if I recall correctly, your lathe is the same as mine. If that is so, you will have a yellow "push>off"/"stop" button at the lower left of your lathe bed under the head-stock - near the "Forward/Reverse" switch.

That is your "E"(emergency/electrical)-stop button.

Comment

The foot brake is great when cutting metric threads to a shoulder. You cannot lift the half nut so you have to stop the spindle when and where you want it to.
              Good luck,
              John R

Comment

Affirmative on the metric threads, I just did one a few days ago. Big fast one at 30 x 1.5, and I had 1 thread worth of run out to land in. Darned pain in the behind WITH the foot brake. This is the first lathe I've owned that has one, and I wouldn't even consider giving it up now. The brake combined with "jog" is quite handy...
                Russ
                Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

I never did like the foot brake untill I had an oh s--t happen . Man, you'll never believe how fast I can hit that pedal when the tool holder is slapping the chuck jaws . When you use it with carbide cutters expect the tip to disappear but it's better than a crash destroying more than the insert.

I have used mine and will not remove it under any conditions and I suggest you don't remove yours. Hitting the electric emergency stop will not stop the chuck instantantly like the brake will.
                  It's only ink and paper

Comment

oldtiffie,

Yes, it's the PM1236.

Interesting comments, thanks.

I'll keep it then. There's still room for at least two drawers above (ditching the sheet metal piece for sure).

"The foot brake is great when cutting metric threads to a shoulder."

Only metric? If so, why is that?

Comment

But that doesnt mean the foot brake has to be the full width - You could make it substantially narrower and get some storage and still have the brake

Comment

Originally posted by noah katz
                        Only metric? If so, why is that?
                        Turning metric on an imperial screw, or imperial on a metric screw, you cannot disengage the half nuts. Otherwise, you can just throw the lever to open the half nuts while backing the cross slide, and just leave the machine running while you reset for the next go.
                        Russ
                        Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

I Itook a looked at the exploded views and it is indeed a brake.

"Turning metric on an imperial screw, or imperial on a metric screw, you cannot disengage the half nuts."

Hmm, sounds odd, I'll have to think about that.
                          Last edited by noah katz; 11-26-2008, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Think about it all you want, but it won't change the fact that you can't disengage the half-nut when doing metric threads on an imperial machine.

Comment

Here's a bit of discussion on the logic of half nuts, threading dials and metric threads:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/archiv...p/t-52592.html
                              http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538315

Comment

Working...
                              X