Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What color shade are the better carbides?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What color shade are the better carbides?

I was told years ago by the guy who used to sharpen my wood working blades that there is no strict enforcement of the word carbide. If the material contains only a trace of carbide they can call it carbide blade.

He said you could tell by looking at the color cast as one would be shiner/lighter and the other would be dull. I can't remember which was which.

Now I want to buy a 6 " blade for a small table saw I have and dedicate it to cutting aluminum and want to get the best blade I can afford. Am I looking for light grey or dark grey carbide?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

I can't help you with the color "coding" but I own a Oldham, Freud and a Forrest blade and all are top notch. If you stay with a major manufacturer spend a few bucks you will do OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil Johnson
      I can't help you with the color "coding" but I own a Oldham, Freud and a Forrest blade and all are top notch. If you stay with a major manufacturer spend a few bucks you will do OK.
      I have a Forrest blade on My 7-1/4'' worm drive Skillsaw that has cut miles of lumber and aquite a lot of aluminum, it has also cut some hidden nails and I have not needed to sharpen it yet.

Steve

Comment

YOD, you did not say what KIND of aluminum cutting you were "dedicating' to. If it is only to make it less long and/or less wide, then I think that just about any "contractor" blade that will fit will be more than adequate. OTH, if you are into picture and window frames, perhaps a better blade is in order. I know that installers of store fronts and suchlike sometimes use blades that are expressly sold for chopping aluminum extrusions. I THNK that the teeth are sort of "blocky," with no hook whatsoever. Who sells them? Beats me-maybe one of the Name suppliers.
        Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

If the material contains only a trace of carbide they can call it carbide blade.
          By that logic cast iron or any other iron alloy with an excess of carbon would qualify since it will contain iron carbide. I'm afraid that you can't tell by the color. High quality tungsten carbide can range from light grey to almost black depending on the grade. Even different formulations of the same grade from different manufacturers will differ greatly in color. Your friend may have thought he had a trick up his sleeve but he didn't.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Sorry it took me so long to get back to the thread, I was unable to locate it until I did a search.

I have at least 8 10" carbide blades for the wood shop and they are all Forrest.

I think Duffy has answered my question as any aluminum I cut will be further machined so basically I just want to shorten pieces to machine. You are also right about the blocky-ness of the made for aluminum carbide blades as I remember being told the hook was removed on these blades to make them more durable. I have some 1" x 3-4" in longer lengths stock to cut down.

I guess I'll just go with a garden variety Home Depot blade till it fails and then consider something better if it ever comes to that. After babying my expensive wood blades it's going to see wierd pushing aluminum thruough them
            Last edited by Your Old Dog; 12-06-2008, 09:31 AM.
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
            X