Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caught the feral shop cat, now what do I do with him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught the feral shop cat, now what do I do with him?

He's a big rascal.. looks healthy, thou he has never been to a vet.. I reckon he's a tom?? I am feared to take hold of him and give him a nugget check.. He has claws like you'd not believe. He was swiping at me in my bathrobe.

I had a havahart trap set for a possum been hanging around my door.. the shop cat that has been around for months is in the trap..

I could put him down, but he has kept snakes and rats from the shop.. I don't really like him, as he hisses at me from above my head.. He's not healthy, can't be.. no shots, no deworming, not good to be around my domesticated pets..

What do I do with him.. I could pop him in the head, and feel bad for days.. I like animals more than people. Mean as he is tho if I turn him over to animal control, he'd never make it out of the pound.. they'd gas him..

I sure wish I had a possum in that trap. I hate possums.

I wonder if he'd like one of the "happy" pills the doctor keeps trying to keep me on.. makes a more socialible human out of ..... well.. anti social ones. If we could just come to some kind of agreement on who to hiss at.. I'm the nice guy..

Decisions, decisions.. One Mean arsed feral cat.. One old tattooed biker.. Why can't we all just get along?

Suggestions.. which one of you guys wants him?
    Excuse me, I farted.

Take him to the vet for shots and neutering. That will reduce the hissing some as they become less territorial after being neutered. When he's back in the shop killing snakes and such make a big deal of putting out a water dish and some dry cat food from time to time, and look at him while talking. After that goes on for a while he'll come to expect it and go looking for you. He'll take all the time needed to finish your training in keeping him comfortable. That's when you know you're owned.

Comment

That's sage the deballed declawed cat sitting near on the pittbulldogs head.. I think someone said something about "food" on HSM that triggered this picture.. OH. it was buttered toast and a cat flipping end over end causing a perpetual motion machine.. TOAST"? with Honey?? and the dogs eye lit up like neon..

I don't think this cat will like the puppy.. Butch, well he'd make them crunching sounds.. but.. this dog is a wimp.. he'd make them wimpering sounds after the cat got him.. and got him.. Actually I've had pitt bulldogs since the late seventies.. and never had a wimp like this one.. Never..

The feral cat would be a better guard dog. You see who the dog is curled up next to don't you? the cook.... Imagine that, why he weighs 100lbs..
      Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Originally posted by David E Cofer

... I had a havahart trap set for a possum been hanging around my door.. the shop cat that has been around for months is in the trap..
        Gee whiz just keep him... sounds like one tough cat that is earning his keep!

I'm guessing that if you get rid of that cat it'll just be replaced by another. For some reason people bring their cats to the country and let them go.

Comment

Dont de-nut him, he wont survive.

I say feed him, give him a good meal, and set him loose again.

He's a critter in your world. He is wild. Feed him a snack to say sorry for the trouble, I was after them nasty possums, and let him back loose. He may have a family of his own he is looking after.

Set him free again.. JR

Oh, if he comes back for more of the tasty snacks you gave him, toss him some again. He will come to like you, but will still rid yer place of small pesky rodents, thats his nature. He will still hunt.
          Last edited by JRouche; 11-29-2008, 02:42 AM.
          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Get a vet to look at him. A good vet can give you advice on what to do with the fella. The happy pills seem to work pretty good on dogs, at least. My brother had a cockerspaniel that had been abused. Dog would go nuts if he saw a hairbrush or paper towels. Two months on the happy pills, and he was almost a normal dog. Until you can get him to a vet, you might try giving him some catnip.

Comment

David...My big orange guy who the coyotes almost ate...he was one wild sob when I moved out here.
              you had to watch his every move...lil bugger would eat my hand off. a year later..he is THE biggest sukk here. Spoiled bloody rotten. But...he kills anything that moves on the place...except..he hasn't killed a mule deer yet...
              Give him time...he will be your best bud in awhile...very loyal..] Russ
              I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Start feeding him regular and he will be quite friendly in short order.
                James Kilroy

Comment

May I offer some suggestions. First and foremost take him to a ferel cat friendly vet, have his nuggies cut so he won't reproduce more ferel cats. Most ferel cats die from infections from fighting (ever treated a cat with an abcess? Ain't no picnic), or getting hit by a car (HBC) where they suffer a miserable death - if they survive teh initial hit. Secondly feline leukimia typically gets them, have him vaccinated for FvrCP, feline leukemia, and rabies (that's the law). If he hasn't been vaccinated for rabies, if he bites someone he would be typically trapped, euthanized, and his brain sent to the state lab for flourescent antibody analysis. If he has a current rabies vaccination (as I recall GA is annual vaccination though the vaccine produces viable antibodies for somewhere over 3 years - provided it is modified live virus high egg passage). That rabies certificate is the difference between life and death for him should he nail someone. Food, lots of food, a good place to sleep, and just ignore him, he will come around. I have found with my cats they know more about what ever I am doing than I do. They are good companions. Also, an intact tom will spray and the odor of that TCP will NEVER go away, on humid GA days you will be reminded he was around. Also, the pee is VERY corrosive. Whack their nuggies usually decreases the potential for spraying, although some continue once they have learned to do it. Good luck!!

Comment

May I offer some suggestions. First and foremost take him to a ferel cat friendly vet, have his nuggies cut so he won't reproduce more ferel cats. Most ferel cats die from infections from fighting (ever treated a cat with an abcess? Ain't no picnic), or getting hit by a car (HBC) where they suffer a miserable death - if they survive teh initial hit. Secondly feline leukimia typically gets them, have him vaccinated for FvrCP, feline leukemia, and rabies (that's the law). If he hasn't been vaccinated for rabies, if he bites someone he would be typically trapped, euthanized, and his brain sent to the state lab for flourescent antibody analysis. If he has a current rabies vaccination (as I recall GA is annual vaccination though the vaccine produces viable antibodies for somewhere over 3 years - provided it is modified live virus high egg passage). That rabies certificate is the difference between life and death for him should he nail someone. Food, lots of food, a good place to sleep, and just ignore him, he will come around. I have found with my cats they know more about what ever I am doing than I do. They are good companions. Also, an intact tom will spray and the odor of that TCP will NEVER go away, on humid GA days you will be reminded he was around. Also, the pee is VERY corrosive. Whack their nuggies usually decreases the potential for spraying, although some continue once they have learned to do it. Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by David E Cofer
                      *** I wonder if he'd like one of the "happy" pills the doctor keeps trying to keep me on.. makes a more socialible human out of .....
                      Give him the happy pill, in suppository form. Then we'll know who rules the shop. Report back, if you still have fingers left to type with.

Joking aside, just feed him in the shop. Just enough table scraps to let him know you're his friend, but not too much to keep him from hunting for his own.

Comment

Give him some food, he'll be yours forever.
                        Definetely neuter him, as others said, they will tame way down. My uncles cat, he was a ferrel living up in Washington State. Once an outdoor cat, always an outdoor cat.
                        His cat had ear mites, needed vacs and needed to get neutered.
                        My uncle did not want to neuter him, well until the neighbors started calling when his cat would simply walk into their house like it was nothing looking for their female cat. His cat has tremendous patience and little kids can pick him up, play with him with never a fear of getting clawed.
                        And yes, you DO NOT WANT him spraying all over the house with his urine. You must get him neutered or else! If you do not want him, then give him a snack and let him go. He will probably live a maximum of 2 years outdoors without any human friends. These animals have adapted to live around humans and need humans to survive a long time. He will still always be the hunting killing machine, so no worries there. They are like klingons, they don't lose their blood lust.
                        My uncles cat loves to watch the mother rabbit, once she leaves the nest, he moves in for the kill. For some reason he only eats the heads. No remorse. He is a small cat, about half the size of a tabby. Will wrestle with you and bite only hard enough to make you feel it, knowing full well he could strip your finger down to the bone. haha

Comment

Were it me I'd just let him be. He'll take care of business around the shop, stuff that Butch ain't fast enough for. Patience will get you more mice then a Pit Bulls muscle !! As a few others have said, toss him a meal once in a while and he will keep the shop free of pest. Make a decent place for him in the rafters and you won't have to worry about your hair A rabbies shot might be in order if he's going to be around Butch much.

Just keep this in mind, you will always be his, not the other way around. Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

BTW, this thread is showing what a bunch of macho guys we are It used to be popular for men folk to talk about tormenting the cat, glad to see we have no such butt-holes in this forum.
                          Last edited by Your Old Dog; 11-29-2008, 09:33 AM.
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

All it takes is food. He won't spray too close to where he lives, only on the perimeter of his territory. The toms that spray your house are the ones that are trying to claim it.

Old pic, the foxes, eagles and a neighbour with a .22 has got these guys long since. We can't have another cat until the Beardog is gone. She will kill them with extreme prejudice.

Another "fierce" outside Tomcat.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

The difference between a dog and a cat

The dog says "you love me, you feed me, you give me shelter, you must be a god. The cat says, you love me, you feed me, you give me shelter, I must be a god.

Comment

Working...
                              X