No announcement yet.

Tangential Toolholder: Practical Self v.s. Emotional Self. A Play in 2 Acts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

probably 'cause I'm too weak to get the screw tight enough.
    Dude. Spot weld. Works great for lugnuts too.

Hope this helps!

Comment

I've built two tangential holders and vote for making one - it'll give you a chance to use your shaper again

I'd also vote for setting the tool so it can turn and face without swiveling the QCTP - I grind most all my tools so the QCTP angle stays fixed.

I built the monolithic style first and then built one to fit a regular toolholder. The one to fit the regular toolholder sticks out more than most bits so it entails cranking the CS when using different tools.

I plan to make another monolithic type to replace it and am interested in the one Goeff showed. However, I don't see how the saw cuts were done to get them to intersect without weakening it - any chance of an explanation and/or a picture of the bottom, Goeff?

John

Pictures here: http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/ToolHolders.html#Tangent

Comment

Hi John,

I am in the middle of a move - the computer is still at the old place but the lathe is at the new one.

I won't promise but will try to take a photo tomorrow and bring it back here to post. The sawcut does not compromise the bottom section of the toolholder but I can't remember the details. Hopefully a photo will help.

Geoff

Comment

Here are some more details of the slitting saw cuts that I made to enable some flex in the clamping section.

Let me know if you need more details.

Regards,

Geoff
          Last edited by ammcoman2; 12-03-2011, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ammcoman2
            Here are some more details of the slitting saw cuts that I made to enable some flex in the clamping section.

Let me know if you need more details.

Regards,

Geoff
            Very nice work!!

Comment

Hi Geoff,

An elegant design, beautifully machined. Trickier than it looks - I assumed there was a third saw cut underneath to provide flex. My eyeball engineering told me it wouldn't flex enough without this extra cut (even though I didn't see a way to make the cut) - so much for my intuition. Not sure my skills are up to copying it, particularly the square hole for the bit.

Thanks for making the effort to take pictures during what must be a very busy time for you, moving is always a major drain on time and energy.

John

Comment

Thanks. Geoff, for the pix. A well-done holder and good pix, too.

The final scene of ACT II happened today. I'll post ACT II in full as a new thread by the end of the week.

Comment

I, too, didn't have the knowhow/facilities to make a square hole so I bought a square hole sleeve and used (98% tin/2% silver) solder to fix it in place.

Geoff

Comment

Geoff-
                    Did your new tool cure the chatter problems on your Atlas lathe?

-Doozer (former Atlas 10" owner)
                    DZER

Comment

Now that you point it out, the sleeve is hinted at in one of your pictures.

Nifty idea, I only considered making the slot with a saw but since an insert can be made in two parts and brazed in place this allows other approaches. Wish I'd thought of that...

John

Comment

...What?

Originally posted by ammcoman2
                        I, too, didn't have the knowhow/facilities to make a square hole so I bought a square hole sleeve and used (98% tin/2% silver) solder to fix it in place.

Geoff
                        Square drill-bit. Enco's got 'em in all sizes.
                        This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                        Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
                        Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Working...
                        X