Heck of a name for a vise....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heck of a name for a vise....

The little Clausing 8530 came with a beautiful little vise with a removable swivel base. It still has all of the original paint and the scraping marks on the bearing surfaces, but I have never seen or heard of one like it before. It seems like a very well made vise, I wonder why you don't see them any more. Japanese marketing and branding has come a long way in 40 years.

did it come with a white dust cover?

Comment

Originally posted by teejay
      the pointy one?
      --
      Tom C
      ... nice weather eh?

Comment

Nice looking not politically correct vise....

Andy Pullen
        Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, Clausing 8520 mill, Diacro 24" shear, Reed Prentice 14" x 34"

Comment

Andy, - what size vise do you have on your 8520?

Comment

Originally posted by teejay
            now that was quick witted, MD, never seen that make before but it looks solid.
            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

The Japanese sell KKK vises over here and we sold stalled car gas over there. Remember when Esso changed it's name to Exxon? One of the big reasons was that Esso translates to stalled car in Japanese and that is not the greatest name to sell gas under.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyD
                Remember when Esso changed it's name to Exxon? One of the big reasons was that Esso translates to stalled car in Japanese and that is not the greatest name to sell gas under.
                Esso didn't change it's name to Exxon -- Esso is still around

At the end of the 19th century Rockefeller and Standard Oil controlled 90% of the US oil supplies. After a fierce battle, Teddy Roosevelt forced Rockefeller to break-up the company into 31 subsidiaries. Eastern States Standard Oil: ESSO was one of the subsidiaries.

All these subsidiaries were owned by a shell company (a "Trust"): Standard Oil Company of New Jersey: SONJ (Rockefeller was based out of New Jersey). SONJ eventually became Exxon, and SONY (Standard Oil of New York) became Mobil.

This was the reason for the creation of the Sherman Anti-Trust act -- to keep Rockefeller from continuing the shell game of creating new companies that were owned by a trust (shell) company that he owned.

Somewhere during all the anti-trust litigation, ESSO was banned from operating in the US, so it's now seen in Canada, Europe, Japan, etc.
                Last edited by lazlo; 12-06-2008, 12:23 PM.
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Re: Car name blunders

The Japanese sell KKK vises over here and we sold stalled car gas over there. Remember when Esso changed it's name to Exxon? One of the big reasons was that Esso translates to stalled car in Japanese and that is not the greatest name to sell gas under.
                  MickeyD...That is just like the Chevy Nova that did not sell in South America until they changed the name to Caliente. No Va means no go in Spanish.
                  Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                    Esso didn't change it's name to Exxon -- Esso is still around
                    I seem to remember a joke from 40 years ago about the swarm of bees migrating. Running low on fuel they decided to stop at an intersection with four gas stations. A third of them each went to the Standard, Sinclair, and Mobil stations with one lone bee dropping into the Esso.

Which all just goes to show that there's an Esso Bee in every crowd.
                    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Lazlo, I'm not sure you're completely correct on the ESSO/EXXON name change. Although I have seen post 1969 pictures of ESSO gas stations in Europe; I distinctly remember reading a full page ad around 1968 by ESSO explaining they were changing their name from ESSO to EXXON because the name ESSO had unpleasant connotations in another (never named) language. Subsequent to the name change, I read an editorial, again around 1968, which stated exon, spelled with one "x" meant camel dung in some middle eastern language. Goes to show you; you just can't win.

Comment

The little Clausing 8530 came with a beautiful little vise with a removable swivel base. It still has all of the original paint and the scraping marks on the bearing surfaces, but I have never seen or heard of one like it before. It seems like a very well made vise, I wonder why you don't see them any more. Japanese marketing and branding has come a long way in 40 years.
                        I've got an almost identical vise that came with my knee mill. Mine is stamped "The Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. Cincinnati OH", and was probably made in the 30's.
                        Mine is 12" or so long, and weighs about 125 lbs with the swivel. Even the jaw inserts look identical.
                        I can't show pics, because my software developer upgraded the web server and .jpg are too "old skool" for him, so he's got everything other than .png blocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyro 001
                          Lazlo, I'm not sure you're completely correct on the ESSO/EXXON name change. Although I have seen post 1969 pictures of ESSO gas stations in Europe;
                          ESSO is still in existence as a company -- its now a wholly-owned subsidiary of Exxon, but they're banned from operating in the US:

http://www.exxonmobil.com/corporate/ (Look at the bottom of the corporate page):

Exxon Mobil Corporation is the parent of Esso, Mobil and ExxonMobil companies around the world.

Here's the ESSO Canada web page:

And Wikipedia's explanation, although ESSO is more than a trade name, it's a multi-billion dollar company:

Esso (S.O.)(a.k.a. Eastern States Standard Oil) is an international trade name for ExxonMobil and its related companies. Pronounced /ˈɛsoʊ/ ("S-O"), it is derived from the initials of the pre-1911 Standard Oil, and as such became the focus of much litigation and regulatory restriction in the United States. In 1973, it was largely replaced in the U.S. by the Exxon brand, while Esso remained widely used elsewhere. In most of the world, the Esso brand and the Mobil brand are the primary brand names of ExxonMobil, with the Exxon brand name still in use only in the United States alongside Mobil.
                          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

The bee is such a busy soul
                            It has no time for birth control
                            I guess thats why, in times like these
                            You meet do many sons of Bees.
                            Brian Rupnow
                            Design engineer
                            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

There's one of those 4 inch clan vise's on the bay now...

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X