Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan
    replied
    You need to make yourself a chuck stick. Hardwood from an old shovel or whatever works well.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Good Lord! I'm glad it missed your feet. That would put you away for a while. That's why I hate to change chucks even though I have the D1-4 system. It's always a pain and it's getting harder every year.

I'd take it somewhere and have it welded. It will be fine.

Glad you weren't hurt!

Leave a comment:

• jcarter
    replied
    Can we see a pic of it?

Leave a comment:

• Carld
    replied
    it was just waiting for you to turn your back. You could have watched it for an hour and when you turned around, KABAM.

Back rim??? does that mean it fell on the threaded hub and the crack is an arc in line with the circumference?

Leave a comment:

• ckelloug
    replied
    I'd offer to help with my tig welder since I'm down the street but I'm out of argon and tig about as well as a rabid weasal. I did manage to get my four jaw on last week after a fight with some asian bolts if you're desperate.

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    started a topic Oh Fu.uudge! Dropped my 4jaw chuck

Oh Fu.uudge! Dropped my 4jaw chuck

Was switching from the 3jaw to 4 jaw and after removing the 3jaw was having difficulty holding the 4jaw up so I could screw it on (8" chuck, arthritic hands).
    I was in the process of finding another thin board to put under it to raise it more in line with the spindle. I'd positioned it so I thought it wouldn't roll, and even stopped to observe for a few seconds to make sure. But a few seconds after my back was turned I heard the crash as it fell on the concrete floor.

It now has a crescent shaped crack on the back rim about 1.5 to 2" long, maybe 3/4" wide. The piece is still rigidly in place, but I can see the trace of the crack on the backside. Tho I can't feel it back there.

This is a Horton chuck, old - but I don't know how old. I can't tell if it's cast iron or that semi-steel. I suspect the latter.

I don't want to try to trust it to my welding skills, such as they are, so I'll probably take it to a professional shop and see if they can TIG it.

This is on a 13" LeBlond with a max speed of 500 rpm. It might hold as it is, but I'm leary of the potential for that chunk to fly out and disappear up my nose.

Any suggestions or comments? ...other than "you dumass!" I already know that!
Working...
X