Need Lathe Accident Post Deleted Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Lathe Accident Post Deleted Please

Can someone please remove the post to the lathe accident. It is linked from another site and hogging our bandwith. It has recieved over 1000 views in the last hour. I just spent 5 min trying to get here.

You know, I have no problem what so ever getting here, now looking at that link is another story!!

Comment

I removed the link I posted.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
        I removed the link I posted.
        I want to see the picture.

Comment

Redacted for the OP.
          Last edited by dp; 12-17-2008, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks for posting the pic!

Comment

Strange there was a run on that thread. when I posted it I didn't embed any photos, it was a link to another site.

On a side note. If a thousand extra views in an hour to a post without any images brings this site to it's knees, the collective "We" are living on the razors edge. Hardware is cheap, throw some at the problem.
              Brett Jones...

Comment

It isn't just the traffic. That post was attracting people who want to see blood and guts, not machining. It was linked from over 100 other sites and most of them had nothing at all to do with metal work. They are still out there if you want to try and find them.

I notified George the minute the thread popped to the top so blame me for it being deleted if that what you wish.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I personally haven't seen the lathe accident pictures , and while I don't endorse any kind of censorship on this forum, I do find it disturbing to find such a morbid fascination with seeing a man ripped apart. At least this is what I surmise from what I have read about the subject on other threads.

Unfortunately I have had my fill of witnessing grotesque accidents in real life. I used to haul fuel for many years. It's been almost thirty years since I came upon a fellow trucker at 11:30 at night, engulfed in flames fed by 10,000 gallons of gas and diesel. All I could do is listen to the screams and wait for help to arrive. That night still haunts me to this day.

I also had the misfortune to witness firsthand four seniors ripped apart as they pulled out in front of a fast moving semi. It's not easy for me to deal with those pictures, that's why I don't need anymore of that sh*t!

Perhaps others have led a more sheltered existence and need to experience this vicariously. Whatever...I just call it gore mongering.
                  Hope you enjoy the photos when you find em.
                  Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                  Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy
                    I personally haven't seen the lathe accident pictures , and while I don't endorse any kind of censorship on this forum, I do find it disturbing to find such a morbid fascination with seeing a man ripped apart. At least this is what I surmise from what I have read about the subject on other threads.

Unfortunately I have had my fill of witnessing grotesque accidents in real life. I used to haul fuel for many years. It's been almost thirty years since I came upon a fellow trucker at 11:30 at night, engulfed in flames fed by 10,000 gallons of gas and diesel. All I could do is listen to the screams and wait for help to arrive. That night still haunts me to this day.

I also had the misfortune to witness firsthand four seniors ripped apart as they pulled out in front of a fast moving semi. It's not easy for me to deal with those pictures, that's why I don't need anymore of that sh*t!

Perhaps others have led a more sheltered existence and need to experience this vicariously. Whatever...I just call it gore mongering.
                    Hope you enjoy the photos when you find em.
                    You know, after my friend just died in a mid-air collision, I don't much care anymore to see pictures of airplanes hitting terra firma.

Comment

Not blaming anyone Evan, just a comment.

As the original poster of that thread I'd like to make it clear I made the post as a safety/consequence reminder. There was a warning in the title and I also offered to pull the post at the time. The consensus was to let it stand.
                      Brett Jones...

Comment

Originally posted by bhjones
                        Not blaming anyone Evan, just a comment.

As the original poster of that thread I'd like to make it clear I made the post as a safety/consequence reminder. There was a warning in the title and I also offered to pull the post at the time. The consensus was to let it stand.
                        I for one thank you for that warning and never felt any need to open that post.
                        pulling it if people were using it to get their jollies instead of a safety reminder is the right thing to do.
                        --
                        Tom C
                        ... nice weather eh?

Comment

I'm with Willy..I never looked either.
                          I was a First Aider for 12 years...also worked part time as an EMT.
                          I've picked up after some gawdamm gory stuff and do not need anymore.
                          Once you've had someones brain matter drop on your boots and get it all over your hands...Seen bones sticking out of people clothes... heard them scream for an hour...you do not need to see any more...
                          Russ
                          I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Remove so there is no consequence to a decision?

I work as a technician and F/A attendant in the trades/vocational area of a community college, specifically with millwright/machinists with the constant flow of new trainees. It can be downright scary to see these guys (and gals) working with the machines and seemingly oblivious to the real dangers. Even just getting them to wear eye protection can be a challenge at times. There seems to be the belief that nothing bad is "allowed to" happen to them. They are referred to as the 'millenium child' and have been parented with no consequences for anything, and rewarded without cause, and nobody fails. Both rewards and consequences should occur 'after' an action..... ah but I digress!
                            To my mind, removing this link because someone is/was abhorred by what they saw after making that conscious decision to look is a perfect example that the world should look after you and you are not responsible for your choices or decisions!
                            Think twice before implementing censorship......
                            I'm not a big believer in the shock photos and videos as a deterrent to unsafe activity, especially with this generation of people that have been raised 'by' (yes 'by' not 'with') video games as babysitters, but if even one life is saved by having seen the gore, then it's worth it.
                            JMHO
                            I spent most of my money on women and booze, the rest I just wasted.

Comment

Fixer...I agree with you about the censorship thing. People do need to get a jolt of reality when it comes to this kind of thing.
                              I personally don't have to look...I've seen it for real..I know what can happen.
                              I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Working...
                              X