Another safety violation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another safety violation...

This thing here...a rear plow mount off a big JD tractor...weighs about 300#.

20 minutes ago it had me pinned under it in the back of the customers truck. Gawdamm that hurt. We where trying to unload it when it slid over and got caught under the edge of the pickup box.
    I had it on the crane but we couldn't budge it from the ground. The guy is an older fella so I jumped up in the back and was trying to move this thing...the deck of the truck was really slippery with snow and ice.I was trying to balance it and move out of the way...he grabbed it and gave a yank.
    It spun around so fast...and that square part with the hole in it...crashed down...knocked me under it then landed on my leg right below the knee. I'm glad the ol' guy was here. He had to rehook the crane and lift that thing off me.
    Holy Smoke...that's about as close as I've come to breaking a leg in a long time.
    Dirty Rotten $%*@&$%
    Lesson...watch your footing and watch out for what others do when you aren't ready.
    I'm going to pout now... I have a giant toothache in my leg...
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Bet it took your mind off your sore back!!! More adventures from hillbilly hollow!!!! Try to be careful Russ. I would miss the entertaining postings if ya were to do sumpin drastic
    Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Here is one observation from 35 years wrestling pig iron in the water well drilling business. Most of the accidents are the result of unexpected actions of a second party particularly one that has more muscle on his frame than between his ears. Don’t let the uninitiated help you.
      Byron Boucher
      Burnet, TX

Comment

Think of it this way. It was a cheap way to remember respect for everything mechanical. I get a dose myself every once in a while. It keeps me from being too smug and encourages thought.

Glad to hear that you didn't get hurt. Now, go make some money..... I mean earn some wealth, making money will bring the secret service down on you. They can't appreciate a good printing press.

rock~
        Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

People that do not understand rigging/ moving heavy things are just too dangerous to let near that type of work. They might mean well, but cannot picture how things move. In working crews I had a tough rule do exactly what you are told or you no longer work here. The only time I had anybody get hurt was before the rule.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by torker
            .the deck of the truck was really slippery with snow and ice.I was trying to balance it and move out of the way...he grabbed it and gave a yank.

Be it painted metal or a plastic bedliner --- just snow on either is lethal, Glad your alright Torker, I hate winter, there's too much of it where im at

Comment

I hate those damn blades anyway,bout useless unless your moving foam packing peanuts around.Last one I worked on got me in the web of my right hand,the sucker decided to swing on it's own.SOB hurt for two weeks.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Dammit...so dumb... I'm always really careful when working with someone I don't know. It happened so fast..I still don't remember it.
                I think I dislocated my bum hip a bit..holy smoke it got tweaked. Legs turning a nice shade of burple around the hole punch in it...got a big knot growin on my hand...musta slammed the ribs I broke awhile back....sore as hell.
                I am so glad I was wearing my super thick Baffin Island felt pak boots. The liners are about 1 1/4" thick...right where the thing landed on me.
                I hear ya about winter Boomer...this never would have happened in the warm weather. Standing on frozen snow covered steel...on who knows what.
                I know better....done a lot of rigging. I never took the usual seconds for a quick look around and making sure the footing is good.
                Ya..Ernie...you're right...just another day in Hillbilly Hollow. And..I better get back to work...enough layin around whining to the ol' lady about a couple owwies.

Comment

The blade

torker,
                  If JD would have made the blade right in the beginning you wouldn't have gotten hurt. If it was the typical JD way of building things, watch out. Too many time JD uses heat treated thin steel instead of heavier steel, so if you weld it you get a surprise. It won't hold worth a nickel. This may not be the case, but it could be. I bet it was painted and badged JD by a different manufacturer.

A few weeks ago I dropped a Bale Fork on my right side/leg. Man that hurt, broke my watch band too. But that was my fault, I should not have been standing there. Oh, well.

Take care, have a good holiday,
                  Paul

Comment

Russ, it sounds like You are running out of parts to bruse and break. .
                    Glad You aint hurt too bad, and at leastYou had plenty of ice handy for the bruse .
                    Why didn't You use the hoe to yank that thing out of his truck ?, I have found over the years it is a lot harder to get hurt from the seat than when you are on the ground or in the truck bed.

Steve

Comment

Steve...believe me..I would have used the hoe...it's just too darn cold to fire it up.
                      That ol' Perkins doesn't like to start in -20 weather. I'm just leavin it be til it warms up.

Comment

That's a shame Russ, are you laid up or in pain, or both ?

There is no escaping it, you work with heavy stuff you get a bad back and/or you will get hurt, usually both.

Ken

Comment

Damm Russ!!!! You got thunked huh? Glad you didnt break a bone. Yer body is the best machine in your shop. Dont wanna hurt it. Im GLAD you didnt come out broke from the damm piece of steel. Can happen so quick.. Thanks for showing an example of where the metal can come around on us... JR
                          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Russ, PULEEZ be grateful. If you didnt have bad luck, you wouldnt have ANY LUCK AT ALL!
                            Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Russ,

Glad no lasting damage. I doubt that any of us that work with things bigger than we are have not been caught once or twice. Usually we get a close shave and walk on a bit more careful. Some never get another chance.

As I, I am sure you do your best to avoid it. Retrovision is great stuff for those writing safety rules, generally they come up with a solution after the need has passed. Useful for the next guy but it didn't help you a bit.

Hope you stay safe and healthy and I wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and happier new years.

Clutch

Comment

Working...
                              X