Boring head shop made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boring head shop made

I finally did something in the shop. This is boring head from the Rudy 2 book
    It is a fairly compact design for those of us with small bench mills .I wittled out of piece of 2 inch round stock mild steel . It is about 1 3/4 in diameter and 1 5/8 tall excluding the shank that will fit a 1/2 in collet . I used a regurlar dovetail cutter and used some brass cause i had it. it is sized for a 3/8 in boring bar . over all it came out well except for the adjusting screw.
    I had a parting wreck when i parted it and i smoked my slirring saw cutting the slit. also i still dont any way to index the 50 marks it needs , so i will probably will redo the screw when i have what i need to do it with.

scariest thing to hear " I am from the government and i am here to help"

Yup, looks just like the one in the book.

Nice job.

Regards, TC

Comment

Nice looking job. Too bad about the wreck, I had one also. Worked all day on a complicated piece and near the end the cutter on the mill grabbed it and tore a big chunk out of the piece. It's still useable but it kind of smoked me as things were going along rather nicely until then !

As for your problem, you may be able to drill it oversize and sleeve it and rethread. Use a different metal and you can boast you did it that way on purpose ! Good luck.
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
      X