What size vise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size vise?

What would be an appropriate size vise for my Delta/Rockwell mill? The table is
    6 1/2" x 24".
    Jim

a 3 inch vise would be ideal
    A 4 inch would be max
    The main problem with larger vises is weight.
    Small tables have small ways
    Rich

Comment

It would be nice to have a 4" vise, but on that size table it might be crowding things. You might get away with it though. I've got a 4" Kurt on my 7"x30" table, and that seems like a pretty good match.
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

A 4 inch Kurt is perfect I had one and from experience it worked very well . If you get the ram set right you can get a 3/4 end mill across the length with Jaws wide open.

Last edited by lane; 12-23-2008, 10:27 PM.
        Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
        http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
        http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Clausing 8520 with BP-M head.
          Very similar to your Delta Rockwell.
          5" Kurt you see there.
          It fits well.
          I milled off the back part of the coolant trough.
          Now I have full Y-axis travel, which is only 4.90".

I love the 5" Kurt on this mill.
          But it is the absolute MAX.
          6" would not fit at all.

--Doozer
          DZER

Comment

Thanks for the info..

I guess I'll try and find a 4" Kurt that won't break my piggy bank. I'm sure looking forward to using this mill, but winter has hit us hard, and I'm still working on getting the shop insulated, so it may be awhile. Took me 2 1/2 hours today to clear the snow from the storm that hit us yesterday.
            Many thanks guys,
            Jim

Comment

4" Kurts are expensive, new or used.

Comment

Originally posted by IdahoJim
                Took me 2 1/2 hours today to clear the snow from the storm that hit us yesterday.
                Many thanks guys,
                Jim
                What part of Idaho is that Jim?
                I spent two years at Mtn Home AFB. Sure loved it out there, tho we didn't get much snow out there in the desert.

Comment

They are more expensive than 6 inch kurts !

Comment

Look for a Yuasa they are the next best thing . But nothing less than that.
                    Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                    http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                    http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Hey Doozer..your vice is as big as your Knee....
                      Or were you refering to your angle vise ?

I would still prefer a 3 "

Merry Christmas
                      Rich

Comment

Originally posted by lane
                        Look for a Yuasa they are the next best thing . But nothing less than that.
                        Thanks, Lane...I'll do that!

Linl...I live about 200 miles east of Mountain Home, but I do some hunting every year down in the Bruneau canyon country south of Mountain Home. I called in a lion down there 2 years ago. We spent 2 1/2 hours digging out yesterday, and are going to get hit with a blizzard again tonight. 2-4" snow with high winds. It looks like we're in for a hard winter.
                        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by lane
                          A 4 inch Kurt is perfect I had one and from experience it worked very well . If you get the ram set right you can get a 3/4 end mill across the length with Jaws wide open.

Lane, did the factory drive mount handle the extra weight of the motor hanging that far back? Looks like an intriguing way to get additional speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by IdahoJim
                            I guess I'll try and find a 4" Kurt that won't break my piggy bank. I'm sure looking forward to using this mill, but winter has hit us hard, and I'm still working on getting the shop insulated, so it may be awhile. Took me 2 1/2 hours today to clear the snow from the storm that hit us yesterday.
                            Many thanks guys,
                            Jim
                            I'd look for one of the cheaper variety for now and do a long range search for a Kurt. I bought my chinese knockoff before I ever heard of Kurt and it's working great for my home shop. Paying half the cost of what I paid for my mill don't ring right with me. Close to putting a hundred dollar saddle on a ten dollar horse.
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I approached it like Dog and got one of ENCO's Kurt clones for an interim vise, they're not really all that bad ... AND you can get the free frt on a 4". I then started a search for a Kurt that I could afford.

As others have mentioned, for some reason I dont really understand, a 4" is quite a bit more expensive than a 6"! Anyhow, I did one of those searches on ebay of what recent items have sold for, in this case a Kurt, and saw that one in about every 25-30 sales, one would slip up on the bidders and sell at a reasonable cost. So I watched ebay daily for maybe 2-3 months, bidding on 15-20 vises until finally one came up that everybody else went to sleep on and I got it for $160 ----and well worth the wait too! The ENCO is worth their low price, but that Kurt is really sweeeet! Course I was looking for a 6" and they are way more plentiful than a 4 or 5", but still .....

The ENCO 4" vise---
                              http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=425-7240
                              The 4" with swivel---
                              http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=425-7241
                              If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Working...
                              X