OT: Question on polishing plastic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Question on polishing plastic.

My 2002 Ford F350 Super Duty Extended Cab SRW 4X4 7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel (Gawd I love it's nomenclature!) has crappy headlights. They don't seem to do much of anything at night. At first I thought the headlights on this particular 2002 Ford F350 Super Duty Extended Cab SRW 4X4 7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel were aimed wrong but they have been checked at the inspection station. The mechanic there did tell me I had a very nice looking 2002 Ford F350 Super Duty Extended Cab SRW 4X4 7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel with the sunvisor and cab lights on it.

I ran across this ad by chance on Craigslist. Anyone have any idea how they do this or what they may use?

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/pts/936857122.html
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Meguiars Mirror Glaze

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...p?T1=MEG+M1708

You need product 17 and 10

It works, been around for decades and is approved for aircraft windscreens and canopies.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

You da man Evan, thanks and Merry Christmas!
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I worked over a set that looked sand blasted. On the worst of it, I started with 220 or 320 sandpaper and worked up (down?) to 1500 then buffing compounds. Got them back to pretty clear. Bad news? Didn't last long. They must have some kind of hard coating to start with.

Comment

I just ordered it out. Be curious to see if it will clean my plastic face shield visor. It's kind of a rubbery plastic and not brittle like most plastics. If it works it will pay for itself real quick.

Comment

Cheap and avaliable cleaner.

Tooth paste is good on your welding faceplate. The abrasive is very fine and it makes a good cleaner for all kind of things that you don't want to scratch.
            Byron Boucher
            Burnet, TX

Comment

It works best on acrylic and polycarbonate. BTW, it will restore a badly scratched CD, audio or data to almost like new condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                It works best on acrylic and polycarbonate. BTW, it will restore a badly scratched CD, audio or data to almost like new condition.
                Then I imagine it will work wonders on the stack of DVDs that my 2 and 4 year olds have "played" with...

[Guinness]

BRILLIANT!!

[/Guinness]

Andy

Comment

Ford has had a problem with fogged headlight assemblies for years. When I worked for the Sheriff's Department, we tried every kind of polish and cream we could find. Some were insanely pricey (and didn't work) and some were cheap (and still didn't work) We finally settled on partial results with McGuire's and a power polisher, but every second polishing, we'd end up replacing the headlight assembly...$90-$140 each....
                  No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

If you haven't encountered it before, you might want to take a look at Micro-Mesh. It's a very interesting, cushioned abrasive - basically a cloth sheet coated with a slurry of rubber and abrasive grit. Because the grit is actually embedded in rubber, there are no spaces between the grits, so the stuff can't load the way other abrasive sheets do.

I do a lot of polishing of lacquer and celluloid, mostly with a buffer and Menzerna power buffing compounds, but I also routinely use the "regular" Micro Mesh sheets from 1800 to 12,000 grit for hand polishing lacquer and plastic. I hesitated for years because of the high cost of the sheets, but once I started using the stuff, I realized it was a really good value for me - the sheets last a really long time.

http://www.micro-surface.com/
                    Last edited by Frank Ford; 12-24-2008, 12:04 PM.
                    Cheers,

Frank Ford
                    HomeShopTech

Comment

They make several types of 'polish' for eyeglasses that's supposed to fill scratches etc, haven't tried it on glasses, but a friend used it on his old neon and claimed good results.

Won't help with scratched and cloudy lenses, but I've always waxed the lenses on my 92 explorer with johnsons paste wax, and the headlights are still clear. no comparison tests to prove it's actually doing anything, but the explorers I've seen of about the same year do have cloudy lenses.

Ken.

Comment

"It works best on acrylic and polycarbonate. BTW, it will restore a badly scratched CD, audio or data to almost like new condition."

Toothpaste or the Meguiars?

Comment

The Meguiars.

Comment

And I've used toothpaste. Sometimes the disk still won't play, but most times it comes back. If the scratch is deep, it might skip a time or two, but that's better than not playing at all.

Andy

Comment

I just did the lights on my wife's Jeep - they came out really nice. I started out wet sanding off the protective polycarbonate outer coating using 1000 grit paper until it was gone and then used 2000 grit to smooth it more. I then used swirl remover with a power DA buffer. Huge difference.

Before:

After:

Comment

Working...
                              X