BXA to CXA Dovetail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BXA to CXA Dovetail

I am about to pull the trigger on a new lathe. The problem is my current lathe has an Aloris BXA tool post and the new lathe will have a CXA post. Has anybody ever tried to increase the size of the dovetail from a "B" to a "C"? Will there be enough meat left to retain rigidity and strength? I have a good bit of BXA stuff and would hate to buy it all new again if I can cut the larger dovetail out on my mill.

P/R

I think you will find that Aloris holders are hardened. You might have better luck just buying the smaller tool post and mounting it on your new lathe. You will lose some rigidity but you are use to working with the small size already. What size is your new lathe? They will all fit a range of lathe sizes. I even have an AXA on a 14" lathe because I already had a bunch of holders for my smaller lathe. Gary P. Hansen
    In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

I'd build a riser block for the BXA before cutting into the holders.

Just curious -- does a BXA toolpost/holder become weak and flimsy when used on a larger lathe under huge cutting loads?
      Sure bigger is better, but I'd rather go for clearance and be able to work the smaller post around the tailstock or left shoulders/whatnot on the parts. You NEED height for tools to reach center, but do you also need (or just want?) it to be wider and longer when going taller for reasonable rigidity?

-Matt

Comment

Enco has their model 200 which is the same size as the Aloris bxa on sale for 189.95. It comes with five holders and someone here just posted the free shipping offer that is good until 11pm est tomorrow. That price is for the wedge type the piston type is less expensive. All your aloris tool holders should fit just fine. Gary P. Hansen
        In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

The Aloris BXA tool post is what I've got on my 15" YMZ; it seems plenty stiff.
          The important dimension is the height of the lathe center line above the top of the compound; if that's too large the smaller tool posts won't work easily.

- Bart
          Bart Smaalders
          http://smaalders.net/barts

Comment

I am stepping up from my Grandfathers 1946 Clausing 12 X 36 to a Haas TL-1. I think the riser block as Ryobiguy suggested is probably the best bet. I have modified some original Aloris toolholders for the Clausing as they would bottom out before reaching center line. Taking a hogging cut is not really needed as I generally machine prototypes and one of's or am doing repair work.

Thanks for the insight,

P/R

PS What material would you use for the riser and the new T Nut?
            Last edited by pressurerelief; 12-26-2008, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X