First post Lathe question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post Lathe question

Hello all, first of all I want to state I have no lathe exprierence other then what I have read online. I found this lathe for sale and have no idea if it is woth buying.

Here is the ad
    "used jet lathe comes with 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck good hobby lathe, comes with many cutters. Also comes with gears for cutting threads." and a picture

Any information and opinions would be welcome thanks.

Looks nice, how does it run? That's the key test. How it feels, sounds and everything. The lathe will tell you everything you need to know if you take the time to set up a simple part and run it.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Without knowing the price...........it's really hard to judge somthings "worth".

Might be helpful to know the size and other data??
      RPease

Comment

Yeah that is a problem, the lathe is very far away from me, I am going to call the guy this afternoon and see what he says and see what kind of vibe I get from. What would the value of something like this be? I can't seem to find much on google. Thanks guys I am sure you are all sick of newbies

Comment

Originally posted by RPease
          Without knowing the price...........it's really hard to judge somthings "worth".

Might be helpful to know the size and other data??

He is asking $425obo

Comment

Important to see it, I think. Find out the size as different sized lathes can look similar in pictures. The presence of both chucks is good.

Comment

Originally posted by wfpack14
              He is asking $425obo
              As long as it hasn't been abused you can't go wrong at that price.
              To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Anybody have any information on these lathes? Google can't seem to find anything. Thanks

Comment

I resized and cropped the picture. It looks like a TY-3 1/? 19"

I found another reference to a very similar lathe as a Colt. He calls it a Myford clone.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Business-fa...-189119449.htm

Hope it helps

Bill
                  Last edited by RancherBill; 12-29-2008, 05:43 PM.

Comment

have a look here ...there are 4 pages of myford clones

http://www.lathes.co.uk/myford/page20.html

all the best.markj

Comment

Given this machine was in good condition how would you all rate this a first lathe. Thanks for all the help and comments allready.

Comment

its a tincy bit different to a myford ...has no gap down the middle of bed .. its hardinge style

this could mean that chips are not cleared and extra wear takes place ...or the extra wear area make it less likely to wear ...depends on how the last owner looked after it ..

it has no screw cutting gearbox ...........it should have a full set of change gears with it .

having no screw cutting gearbox and having to use change gears to change your thread pitches and your feeds could put you off changing feeds or screw cutting .........

if it has full set of change gears i would say it was just about worth it ....if not leave it .

you got to remember to get the best finish on your work requires you to mess about with feeds and speeds ....now if when you do this requires you to change gears on it...........it can make it a real chore .

another thing ...........if thats the original manual ...........it looks clean .maybe the lathe has had little use .......the paint looks original...........just re-read your original post it does have change gears ..

it does not have powered cross-slide.
                        all the best.markj
                        Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 12-29-2008, 05:43 PM.

Comment

It's a clone based on a Myford ML10.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/myford/page4.html

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I spoke to the owner and he didn't know a whole lot about the lathe other then it has some gears and what not, he wasn't even sure of the length of the bed. He is going to send some more pics but I am a little leary of buying from someone that doesn't know a whole lot.

Comment

I wouldn't let the owner's lack of knowlege kill the deal. My first lathe was a 1933 vintage Atlas, 9" swing. It came with 3- and 4-jaw chucks, 3C collets w/ homemade adaptor, Jacobs chuck for the tailstock, Jacobs chuck for the headstock, tool holders, tool bits, 1", 2", and 3" micrometers. The lady selling it wanted "best offer", and she knew nothing at all about it. It was dirty, the gibs were loose (you could wiggle the carriage), and the belts were shot. No stand, it sat on a couple of boxes, sawhorses, or something, in a dark basement. When I asked what her best offer so far was, she replied, "$80.00". I stammered and stuttered a bit, before allowing as though I thought I could go $100.00. She called that evening to tell me that we had a deal.

Mind you, this was in 1966, so you're looking at a lathe that's relatively cheaper than my old Atlas. I used that machine for about 12 years and learned a lot with it.

If you have a buddy who knows anything about lathes, take him along, otherwise you'll have to kinda wing it.

Wind the carriage back and forth to be sure that no gear teeth are missing. Run the cross slide and compound back and forth to see how smoothly they operate and how much backlash the screws have. Don't worry about "some", as ALL lathes have "some", but I'd be concerned if it's 1/4 turn. Unless you can see the dial moving in and out when you reverse direction, that's easily adjusted out. Listen to it run under power. Try the half nuts to see if they engage; be aware that they won't "drop in" unless the screw is in the right relative position, don't force the lever! Check to be sure you have all the change gears; the only way I know to do that is to look at the setup as-is, scope out the threading chart to see what combination is required for the different threads, then check the pile of gears to be sure they're there. Check the ways for excessive wear in the headstock area. If the lathe was used in a hobby shop, it's likely not too badly worn; if it's from a professional shop, it could be kinda nasty, but I suspect the former.

In my opinion, it's probably worth what he's asking. You don't get much of a lathe for that price.

Comment

Working...
                              X