• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the cutter made from?

Comment

What is the cutter made from?
      A2 tool steel.
      "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." Winston Churchill

Comment

Did you cut a straight worm drive and feed the cutter into it to get the curve?
        Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

Bee-yoo-ti-ful!

Please do post pics of the tooling. This kind of stuff fascinates me.
          Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Very nice 3jaw!
            Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
            Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
            Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Nice Job!

You mentioned the following and I'm rather curious which way you went. Guessing you made the cutter on the mill since it is a square tooth, but how did you end up doing it.

I'd think chasing the spiral on the worm is necessary similar to gashing a gear would be, this correct?

Thanks,
              - Reed
              Raleigh, NC

I plan on making it as original as possible. I had thought of the rotating toolpost geared to the spindle idea as a last resort, but I have another idea that is practically identical to your second suggestion. Instead of cutting a straight worm and using that to make the cutter, I am thinking of making the cutter on the mill using a dividing head and a single point fly cutter ground to the proper geometry, adding some clearance angles, then hardening and sharpening. I do like your idea of cutting a straight worm first and using that as a "cutter to make a cutter", though.

Originally posted by 3jaw
              A2 tool steel.

Comment

nice results, creative thinking. i love jobs like that. .

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkerer
                  Did you cut a straight worm drive and feed the cutter into it to get the curve?
                  That's it in a nutshell. I determined through measuring the original that a 7 TPI worm would be close enough to the circular pitch of the cutter to get it started. I cut the worm 0.040 deep with a tool ground the same as the tooth form of the circular cutter, then I switched to the circular cutter and finished the worm. I had to go very slowly and use lots of cutting oil.

The cutter teeth were made on a vertical mill with a right angle angle attachment and a "spin-dex" fixture set at the helix angle of the worm. This is also the same setup used to cut the gears. I made a fly cutter to hold the cutting tool. The cutting tool was held at the correct angle in a grinding vise with an angle block that I had to make and then mounted the vise on a sine plate and ground on a surface grinder. I had to make the angle block and use the grinding vise since I don't have a compound sine plate.

The whole thing was a leap of faith since I wasn't sure my idea would work but, to my relief, it did work just like I had planned.

I don't think I'll take on any more challenges for a little while!!!
                  Last edited by 3jaw; 03-16-2009, 09:53 AM.
                  "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                  X