No announcement yet.

OT: Water that stinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what should I use it for? I mean, in what sort of small home-shop type jobs would I need mag instead of aluminum?

You use it for sounding hi-Tech like Billet.
    Yes, I made this from Magnesium Billet, how cool is that

Comment

The engine covers on my Honda XL250 motorcycle were cast magnesium. I never knew why this material was chosen for an application where cast aluminum would have been appropriate.
      Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

I have 6 bars here 2- 1/2" diameter by 36" long delivered in error for T6.
        They redelivered the T6 but never collected the Electron as we call it here and that was about 12 years ago.
        Only useful thing i have ever made out of it was 4 hubcaps for a vintage Alvis and there must be 5 1/2 bars here somewhere

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Aostling, I believe the covers were likely die cast this is where magnesium has advantages over aluminum.

Comment

Just to add some real machining content here is a picture of the socket I made.

BTW Ken, your parts are in the mail.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

BTW Ken, your parts are in the mail.

Nice, I will let you know when they arrive.

Comment

Success! Wife says the water smells normal. She also says the pressure is higher and the water is hotter. Funny, I didn't adjust those items.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                  Success! Wife says the water smells normal. She also says the pressure is higher and the water is hotter. Funny, I didn't adjust those items.
                  Maybe you bumped the valve or the thermo when you were wrenching?
                  This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                  Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
                  Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Impossible. I have the old insulation jacket from the old heater wrapped around the new heater. I have to remove it to access those controls, which I did not.

Comment

Probably an increase in flow which would give the illusion of an increase in pressure.
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

More likely an increase in shower enjoyment.

Comment

'Increase in shower enjoyment'- our water here is good, drinkable directly from the tap, but there was a filter installed inline with the incoming from the street. It was a bear to open this up, but when I did get it open I found no filter inside. Long story short, I intalled a filter and found that it was nicer to shower with filtered water.

Magnesium- I had a bar of it with my camping supplies, and one day we were out, had a fire going, drinking beer- there I am quietly filing away on the piece of magnesium. (yes, I had a file in my kit as well as vice grips, etc). Anyway I got a good pile of it, went up to the fire and said a few words of mumbo jumbo into the smoke and tossed the handful in. Needles to say I couldn't see well for several minutes after that-
                          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Why would you need a filter? Chilliwack is said to have the purest water in North America. The aquifer runs through a giant natural gravel and sand filter bed for miles before it is pumped up.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                              Why would you need a filter? Chilliwack is said to have the purest water in North America. The aquifer runs through a giant natural gravel and sand filter bed for miles before it is pumped up.
                              A sediment filter is a good idea on any municipal water system.The minute a line breaks somewhere sand and rust end up in the water.

That ends up in the ice maker,toliet valves and dishwasher inlet screens stopping them solid.

This happened to me two years ago.Took the better part of a day to clean everything out.
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Evan - I just changed the water heater in my second home over in Oroville, eastern WA, and the water there is quite hard as is yours. I didn't check the anode of the old one but since the water is softened prior to heating there's not doubt it was long gone. After reading your post I did some searching and nobody recommends removing the anode as that will cause early failure of the tank. What is your take on that? I'm considering a powered anode rather than the standard version.

It will be interesting to see what the water smells like after us being away for a few weeks - it had no problem with smell after two weeks of operation.

Comment

Working...
                                X