Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

right or left threads on these Honda engine parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• right or left threads on these Honda engine parts?

I've got a Honda GX160 horizontal shaft engine that needs some work on the pull starter. I need to know what kind of threads are on the nut that holds the starter cup to the crankshaft and the screw that holds the recoil starter together. I can't see enough thread on the end of the crankshaft to tell which way the threads go. The engine runs clockwise looking at the flywheel.

The screw is item 12 here:

and has this info:
    SKU: 90003-ZH8-801
    SCREW, SETTING (Honda Code 7613474). Use from Engine SN 1411006.

The nut is item 9 here:

and has this info:
    SKU: 90201-Z0T-800
    NUT, SPECIAL (14MM) (Honda Code 7348378).

Roger
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Taking a guess I'd say it would say it would be RH.

Comment

Roger,

Can you look at the end of the thread with a magnifying glass? You may be able to see which hand it is from this.

Ian
      All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

I don't recall ever seeing a left-hand thread on any honda engine. I would put money on that it's RH.
        Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
        Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
        Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

The flywheel is keyed so it shouldn't need to be a LH thread. The word "Special" used on Japanese screws etc. can mean a non conventional thread pitch (Still within the metric range but one of the "Intermediate" piches) or the fact that it's a "washer" type nut.

Regards Ian.

Oh yes, "Special" is also a synonym for EXPENSIVE to replace.
          You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Agreed, the "flanged" nut is what makes it "special". RH thread. Be aware that the reel cover bolt (#12 "screw, setting") is installed with a thread locking compound, so you'll need to add some "loc-tite" when you re-install it.

Comment

Left hand. I just took one apart a couple of montha ago.

Comment

Help!! Now I'm drowning in conflicted info.

RW makes a guess it's RH. I'm left to guess which one of the two he's talking about.

Peter's putting money on it being RH on both. Unfortunately, it's my money.

Circlip and Highpower go with RH on the flywheel nut. Rustybolt says LH, based on his recent experience.

The problem was that the pawls on the starter (item 4 in the first drawing) weren't deep enough in the cup (item 4 in the second drawing) to engage the cutouts, and the starter would just slip when I pulled the cord.

I took the recoil assembly off, set it on a flat surface with some shims around the outer edge, put a padded block on the center, and hit it with a BFH. That moved the pawls (and everything else) about 1/32" closer to the end of the crankshaft, just enough so they engage every time I pull the rope.

Once again, the BFH saves the day.

Roger
                Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Right hand.Just went to the shop and took one apart.
                  Last edited by jcarter; 01-01-2009, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X