• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lazlo
    Or ask about collets versus endmills. Or ER collets versus 5C
    And always remember Flood coolant is for an HSM a Horrid Smelly Mess

Comment

Originally posted by derekm
      And always remember Flood coolant is for an HSM a Horrid Smelly Mess
      I heartily agree with that Derek, with one exception -- a horizontal bandsaw. I'm trading-up from a Jet 4x6, which I've always run dry, to a Wilton 7x12, which is a considerably larger saw. Most of my machining buddies/mentors have told me that using flood coolant on a bandsaw cuts a lot faster, cooler, and cleaner, and the blades last twice as long. The Wilton has the flood coolant skirt and drain plumbing, so it sure looks like I should be able to run it without getting it all over the shop.

I'm got two little kids, so I'm going to try a full synthetic, and if it's too messy, I'll just drain the sump...
      Last edited by lazlo; 12-31-2008, 07:20 PM.
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

More of "how it is"

There seems to be a lot of "dodging the issue" here - intentional or not. Any deviation from the OP is OT until the issues and intent of the OP-er have been fully addressed.

The OP is here:
        Originally posted by Teenage_Machinist
        I have noticed that the complete forum rules are not listed in a forum. Can Bulliss or another post and stickey them some we can know what is an is not OT< what rules for arguments are?

I pray to god for less than 10 replies here.
        I can only assume that as there has not been - so far as I can see - any substantial addressing of the OP that:

There are no changes required;

The "Rules" are those that you "signed up to" when you applied for and were accepted by VP as a member of the HSM forum and subsequently the "Rules" ("Guide-lines"?) as published at the opening page of the forum - as I posted earlier.

So.

For the OP-er ("Teenage_Machinist"):
        Are you satisfied with the answers to your specific questions in your OP? And if not, what else if there that you need to know?

Feel free to not answer here but to address them to George B by PM or email - as is your right. We do not have a right to know what you PM or email, unless you elect to tell us.

I hope you get a satisfactory answer and/or outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
          I heartily agree with that Derek, with one exception -- a horizontal bandsaw. I'm trading-up from a Jet 4x6, which I've always run dry, to a Wilton 7x12, which is a considerably larger saw. Most of my machining buddies/mentors have told me that using flood coolant on a bandsaw cuts a lot faster, cooler, and cleaner, and the blades last twice as long. The Wilton has the flood coolant skirt and drain plumbing, so it sure looks like I should be able to run it without getting it all over the shop.

I'm got two little kids, so I'm going to try a full synthetic, and if it's too messy, I'll just drain the sump...
          You will love the 7-12 that is what I got and I use coolant some times . any questions please ask.
          Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
          http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
          http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

I think that the main rule us open and polite discussion, unless the other person is just flat wrong, then anything goes.

Comment

Did we pass 10 replies yet?
              I think there was one about buying a new lathe and asking about which one here.

I thought that I read a list when I signed up. Or was that the things to ask list?
              Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                There seems to be a lot of "dodging the issue" here - intentional or not. Any deviation from the OP is OT until the issues and intent of the OP-er have been fully addressed.
                If we must be entirely literal then yes, I can answer the OP's question: Yes, the moderators can post rules.

That they have not done so speaks well of this group, generally.

Comment

Originally posted by mochinist
                  If there was a no kissing George's arse rule, Tiffie would get multiple violations for that post
                  It would have been better with a Tiffiepedia link....................

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                    It would have been better with a Tiffiepedia link....................
                    My pleasure John

a servile person who, acting in his or her own self interest, attempts to win favor by flattering one or more influential persons, with an undertone that these actions are executed at the cost of his or her own personal pride, principles, and peer respect.
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I think that the main rule us open and polite discussion, unless the other person is just flat wrong, then anything goes.
                      So if sombody is wrong you get to crucify them? Why?
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Well, the only ones that can be ascertained are:

1) Do not try to sell anything.
                        2) Threads that get too argumentative will be locked
                        3) Anything that is not related to machining must be marked OT. Anything totally unrelated to machining, mechanical stuff, manufacturing, craftsmanship, etc must be marked "Way OT". and posted in General

What prompted this was the recent insta-locking of the US splits as predicted by Russia guy. I AM NOT PROTESTING THAT LOCKING!

but I was intrigued because there were hardly any posts and that sort of thread is normally tolerated only to become locked in the end. Also GB posted and let somebody else post before locking.

Also, I kind of wonder what the IOwolf affair was. Before my time, I think, and search feature turns up arguments but not anything clearer. He was not banned, was he? Was that related to Torker's welding-adept friend who fled this forum or the person who's first post was an angry rant?

I do not remember very much of an agreement on the create account page, but I remember little of it.

So really I would ask , apart from common sense, common law, and precedent, what will result in instant thread locking, and what will result in banning, ect, and what will cause a thread to be locked eventually?

Comment

George has mentioned in the past that politics and religion are off limits. Even so he's pretty loose about snuffing a topic that wanders that way.

IOWolf is a person who speaks his mind (his words) and believes it is the reader's job to deal with it. George seemed to agree, and did.
                          Last edited by dp; 12-31-2008, 09:17 PM.

Comment

hmm as many, many threads have started pure politics and yet had many posts before locking that is odd.

So he was banned?

Comment

#1 Don't advertise
                              #2 ANYTHING can become a flame war here.War,religion,politics,electrical theory,Morse tapers,fly swatters etc
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Never heard of morse tapers becoming a war.

Comment

Working...
                                X