Can a mod post the rules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lazlo
    I actually thought it was pretty funny -- George posted a reply to that thread, moments after it was posted, and then locked it

Seriously though, this isn't the place for geo-political discussion, and I'm as much to blame for that as anyone.
    The really strung out threads are those pure esorotica posts so esoteric and arcane that nobody can understand them but we look anyway

Comment

Originally posted by dp
      He's not here to defend himself though so further discussion probably inappropriate.
      I agree Dennis, but as you're probably aware, I like Wolfie

But I think it's important to clarify that his leaving had nothing to do with a political post. It was this thread, where he posted about a riser he made for his mill, but the top 10 threads that day were about "The Gurl", and his thread go caught up in that stupidity:

And now for a machining topic,I hope the Gurl don't mind.
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Boo!!!

Well, well, at long long last.

Here I see you at last lazlo, and - out of your own "mouth" - "pleasuring" your self again too I see - (which is a good definition of a "Wanker") - and following at the heels of the "Big Kid(s)" (ie John S etc. who needed to follow no one) - no surprise there - and when "Sir" (George B) was "out of sight and ear-shot" too.

What a true hero.

Actually, reminds me of "My Hero" who was in fact a "Chocolate Soldier" (was known here in OZ as a "Chocco/Chockko"). He looked fine parading around in uniform - to the beat and music of his "betters" etc. but "melted" into "chocolate" as soon as the heat arrived!!! Probably explains the "Brown nose" too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Hero_(TV_series)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chocolate_Soldier

Just come around the front and stop snapping at my heels.

I won't trip over you as I will not be retreating.

Just don't trip over your tail.

Boo!!!

Comment

Summary

Originally Posted by oldtiffie
          There seems to be a lot of "dodging the issue" here - intentional or not. Any deviation from the OP is OT until the issues and intent of the OP-er have been fully addressed.
          Originally posted by dp
          If we must be entirely literal then yes, I can answer the OP's question: Yes, the moderators can post rules.

That they have not done so speaks well of this group, generally.
          Excellent precise summary Dennis.

Many thanks.

Comment

Anyone that thinks there has ever been a flame war here has no memory or knowledge of usenet. This place is as gentle as kindergarden by comparison.

Joe

Comment

This is one place where Godwin's law does not seem to apply. For those who missed usenet, Godwin's law states that as a discussion goes longer (and more emotional) the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one. I have yet to see any discussion here go that far, and that is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyD
                Godwin's law states that as a discussion goes longer (and more emotional) the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one. I have yet to see any discussion here go that far, and that is a good thing.
                In Alistair's thread "congratulations on your new brilliant president", someone compared Obama to Hitler. In a different thread, someone else compared him to the Anti-Christ, so we've got all our bases covered.
                Last edited by lazlo; 01-01-2009, 12:03 AM.
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I stand corrected-ish. Missed that one.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Teenage_Machinist
                    I have noticed that the complete forum rules are not listed in a forum. Can Buliss or another post and stickey them some we can know what is an is not OT< what rules for arguments are?

I pray to god for less than 10 replies here.
                    nobody gives a f*ck, this site is run by retards.

who cares...
                    Last edited by tattoomike68; 01-01-2009, 01:58 AM.

Comment

One of Wolfie's threads got caught it in the net, and it stirred up all kinds of bad blood, and he left.
                      Robert, it all started with his "my president has died" thread. The thread you refer to was just the last straw. I haven't had any real arguments with him either and what he says doesn't bother me.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyD
                        This is one place where Godwin's law does not seem to apply. For those who missed usenet, Godwin's law states that as a discussion goes longer (and more emotional) the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one. I have yet to see any discussion here go that far, and that is a good thing.
                        SEIG HEIL

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                          SEIG HEIL

JA WOHL

Derek - Obermotorradfahrer zweiter klasse, Eisenkreuz-Gleiten, dritte Klasse

Comment

Although it doesn't count as a flame war, when I first joined this group there was a discussion between Evan and another, whom I cannot remember, about aluminum tubing used on aircraft. That one got rather heated, and the other guy quit the forum, I think.

Comment

That guy was trolling. It wasn't about aluminum tubing on aircraft since that isn't done, it was about the use of 6061 as aircraft aluminum. It didn't start with him either. I commented that 6061 isn't "aircraft aluminum" and he showed up to argue otherwise. His arguments were basically "if I can find even one example of the use of 6061 anywhere in an aircraft that means that it is aircraft aluminum and the majority of aircraft are constructed with it".
                              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

We've had a couple of guys here who thought they could say anything and puke it out in one-liners just because they were "plain spoken" men and needed no reason to worry about reprisals from "gentlemen" because they were hard-a$$ed and they didn't care if you liked it or not. (Anybody want to buy a punction mark?) Others here could make the same statements but without throwing gasoline in someones face. In other words, they helped make you a better person/machinist and not make you feel like a worthless piece of crap. I find blunt spoken people boring and wonder what problem they have that makes them want to fly in the face of all that is civil and/or polite. I don't have to like them for their blunt and obtuse attitudes.

I thought that one of the guys that was in fact banned sounded like he knew what he was talking about but his style just didn't fit the family that hangs out on this forum. Nearly every remark he made goaded before it informed or helped anyone. We were just forum punching bags for him to feel manly.

And as for the bit about kissing George's arse! I'll publicly kiss it. Thanks George for a great site, I really like it here and that you keep your sword hand out of it until the liberal boundary is reached.
                                Last edited by Your Old Dog; 01-01-2009, 09:42 AM.
                                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
                                X